Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maestro Rear Brake Cylinders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maestro Rear Brake Cylinders

    Question 1
    These cylinders are sold as 'handed' ie left and right sided.
    Can a 'left' cylinder become a 'right' one by taking out the pistons and seals and simply swapping these over? One piston is grooved for the brake shoe, the other isn't.
    These cylinders are available (cheap) here
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUSTIN-RO...-/400506004505

    Question 2
    Are Maestro cylinders interchangeable with Montego cylinders?
    I understand that the Maestro cylinders are 15.9mm and the Montego 17.5 mm or 19.0mm, - in which case, of course, they are not compatible.
    They are available here
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-ROV...-/360673211986

    Your thoughts, advice, comments etc all very welcome.
    My blue EFi 2.0 is up for its MoT soon and I suspect that one of my cylinders may have a 'weep'. I may just swap them both anyway, to be 'safe'.
    Thanks,
    Peter
    1985 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi C27 WFX
    1981 MG B Limited Edition Roadster PNA 535W

  • #2
    Q1. Yes as far as I'm aware you can re-hand them by swapping the position of everything (including bleed nipple I think).

    Q2. You are indeed correct.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks, Daniel
      I've got one Maestro cylinder on order via eBay so when that arrives I'll see if everything swaps over, left to right - and let you know the answer!
      Cheers,
      Peter
      1985 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi C27 WFX
      1981 MG B Limited Edition Roadster PNA 535W

      Comment


      • #4
        just becarefull returning the piston as you do not want to catch the seal lips on the cylinder tube

        Comment


        • #5
          My lips are sealed - of course!
          The new cylinders were a very tight fit (they're meant to be) but they swapped OK.
          I now have an MoT on the Maestro after some welding on the rear wheel arches.
          It should get me to Tatton again later this month, maybe see you there?
          Regards,
          Peter
          1985 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi C27 WFX
          1981 MG B Limited Edition Roadster PNA 535W

          Comment

          Working...
          X