Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Headlights....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No Headlights....

    My headlights just suddenly went. The side lights and dim lights are still there.
    A check of fuses, relay and connections are fine.
    Does this mean there is a problem in the stalk? I remember reading there is a wire connecting to the stalk under the cowl that comes loose, could this be the problem?

    Cheers
    s

  • #2
    hi and low beam are fed from the light stalk...have you got another to swap with it to try , if not , time for the mutimeter
    Tony Hague



    A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks like I'm gonna have to track the fault down. Is there anyway I can hard wire the lights to come on when the ignition is switched on or is that a no no for maestros?

      Comment


      • #4
        i had the same problem and yes it was a wire on the stalk.i soldered it back on no problem since

        Comment


        • #5
          safer to sort the problem than to make some kind of bypass system.
          dont want it going up in smoke.
          Tony Hague



          A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

          Comment


          • #6
            where is the light switch? early cars with the separate light switch on the cowl have a habit of failing, had a few do it, if the switch is on the stalk, never experienced a problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is an easy repair.
              From memory: Unscrew the cowling round the steering wheel. Remove LHS.
              The cable cluster is a simple plug in unit - unplug.
              The indicator and light stalk then unclips and can be removed.
              The broken wire will be very evident, as will the point where it needs resoldering.
              Re-assemble. Drive safely after dark!

              Comment


              • #8
                Do you have dim-dip headlights fitted? Do they still work?

                If they work then it is possible the dim-dip relay has failed. (the pink one right at the top of the fusebox).

                Otherwise as above check the stalk. If it has the early column mounted switch then also check the switch as they were a common failure point.
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

                Comment


                • #9
                  I didn't know it could be separated. That will make it much easier. I thought I would have do do it in the car and solder there as well.
                  ETV. I have a three position switch on the left hand stalk with off, dim and main beams. it works on off and on dim but nothing happens on main beam. I had to drive along the M8 on dim lights, not recommended but needed to be done to get home.

                  Cheers
                  s

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I could not for the life of me manage to get the light stalk to come out. Is there any other screws holding it in? I managed to solder the wire back in but for how long is anybodys guess.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      From memory the stalk unclips. Two clips top and bottom you press in and then it all slides away from the column.
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Checked the relay?
                        I had a similar issue- changed relay and all sorted

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X