Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Tuning Issues On A 1.3 Maestro

Hi all

Got a Rover Maestro 1.3 A Series with a manual choke (Hif44 i think)

Bought it from an old fella who has played around with the carb setting and i just cannot get it to drive properly

All of the vacuum lines are hooked up, although the one on the inlet was capped off with a screw

It idles fine, but bogs down with no real power when trying to drive it, ive checked the dashpot has the correct level of oil and cleaned the inside of the assembly. Checked that the float isnt stuck and is all nice and clean

Any ideas? thanks in advance

Been a long time since I owned a 1.3, so probably talking rubbish, is the line to the dizzy ok?
    1989 MG Maestro Turbo #413

1986 MG Maestro EFi - Dead but still here
    1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 L - Dead and in heaven

2001 Rover 75 CDT (Daily Runner)

Comment

Originally posted by Mat_C View Post
      Been a long time since I owned a 1.3, so probably talking rubbish, is the line to the dizzy ok?
      Hi that is a useful suggestion as it is important to check the pipe for leaks and more importantly that the distributor vacuum unit diaphragm is ok and the vacuum advance is working.

Also check inside the distributor cap for any white or green deposits on the rotor arm & cap. check the distributor cap carbon centre brush is ok and springs out when depressed. Renew as necessary then set ignition timing to 12 degrees BTDC at 1500 RPM vacuum hose off

You can the check the carb mixture setting.

If you do not have a gas analyser then you cannot expect to get the air fuel mixture correct but if you are careful you may get it close. Remove carburettor dash pot and clean with carburettor cleaner, observe the position of the main jet inside the carburettor venturi screw the mixture screw until the top of the jet is level with the brass bush then screw the screw in one full turn. This should give a slightly rich mixture in most cases. Refit the dashpot.

Comment

"but bogs down with no real power when trying to drive it"

Check/Replace the fuel pump. If the pressure is not good, then no amount of carb tuning will help.

Comment

A couple of posts that might help

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2339

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6796
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
          X