1.3 intermittent starting fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.3 intermittent starting fault

I have a '96 1.3. Sometimes when I turn the key, none of the dash lights come on and the car won't start - though hazards and other stuff not wired through the ignition circuit still work. When I try again later, it starts as normal. On other occasions the dash lights come on but the solenoid clicks a few times before turning over the engine.

I have tested the battery and starter and they're both fine, although the battery clamps are a bit loose. I'm thinking maybe ignition switch has gone, though as that's difficult to replace I'd like to eliminate everything else. Anyone got any ideas?

try checking the engine earth strap

Comment

And tighten the battery clamps. Also try swapping the igntion relay with another in the fuse box so that can be eliminated too.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Update: I've replaced the negative terminal (the worse of the two) and cleaned and tightened the positive terminal. I've also cleaned the engine earth terminals. All relays are clicking when bench tested, and I've exchanged the ignition switch (though not the barrel) for a spare one. Still completely dead. Have I missed anything?

Comment

Have you tested the Battery under load, could be a faulty cell

Comment

Working...
          X