Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed on buying a maestro

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice needed on buying a maestro

    I've just spotted a 1.6 Maestro (1988) near me and wondered what I need to look out for when (and if) I buy it.
    It's a 1.6 auto with 12 months mot
    I've spoken to the guy on the phone and he informed me that the gear change is smooth and it drives lovely it's only done about 34000 miles.
    Aparently it was owned by an old bloke from new and who rarely used it.
    the rear bumper has a cracked as the old guy reversed into a gate post and the headlining needs fixing back up or replacing

    I reckon I could get all the work done on this eventually but was wondering if it's worth the £750 asking price and being an auto (which is what I need) what issues should I be looking for?
    Many thanks in advance

  • #2
    Hello Pootz,
    There is a buyers guide on this site HERE that you may want to take a look at. I read it and used it when looking for my own. In your other thread you have discussed the Auto vs Manual and the gearing. According to the factory data the 1.6 Auto will give you 20mph per 1,000 rpm. This compares with 17mph for a 1.3 4 speed. Doesn't sound a lot but at 70mph the 1.3 is over 4,000rpm while the 1.6 auto is giving 3,500.

    Nick

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for the reply.
      I'll have a good read through later as I can use my daughters laptop rather than my phone.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well after reading the buying guide things don't seem so daunting.
        I have someone coming to view my golf on Saturday so all being well he'll buy it and I'll be the new owner of a maestro on Monday or Tuesday

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pootz View Post
          Well after reading the buying guide things don't seem so daunting.
          I have someone coming to view my golf on Saturday so all being well he'll buy it and I'll be the new owner of a maestro on Monday or Tuesday
          Very well done , I think you will find a maestro is more fun than a golf

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by maestro dave View Post
            Very well done , I think you will find a maestro is more fun than a golf
            I'm hoping so.
            the VW scene has changed so much over the last couple of years and not for the better.
            It used to be more about the preservation of vehicles with slight modifications and the social side of it was awesome.
            Now it seems to be all about how shiny the BBS rims are and how much of daddys money has been spent on the car.
            The social element seems to have disappeared.

            This forum seems a lot more relaxed and helpful, from what I have experienced in the last few days.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, the mk2 has been sold so I'm now wishing Monday would hurry up and arrive so I can go and see the maestro.
              wish me luck

              Comment


              • #8
                hi good luck and welcome..i have a montego 1.6 auto .the auto box is a good box even if it could do with another gear , its just a matter of keeping the bodywork tidy.
                Tony Hague



                A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tony View Post
                  hi good luck and welcome..i have a montego 1.6 auto .the auto box is a good box even if it could do with another gear , its just a matter of keeping the bodywork tidy.
                  Cheers
                  to be fair, the bodywork on this one I'm viewing on Monday looks fairly ok from the photos but I don't know old the photos are so I'm just hoping and praying it's ok.
                  I know it needs a bumper repair doing but there's a place by me that fixes plastic bumpers and also the headlining is sagging but I'll just remove it for now until I can afford to get it sorted

                  As long as that's all that's wrong with it I'll be a happy bunny

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    if your planing to just remove the fabric of the head lining thats ok but if your going to remove the board as well keep it safe as they are very difficult to sorce another one

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Cheers, I'll bare that in mind.
                      I'm not sure how bad it is yet though

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X