1.6 S Series suddenly won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6 S Series suddenly won't start

Just been for a 100 mile drive, car was perfect. Parked the car on the drive then turned the engine off. Decided it could be better positioned on the drive, so switched on the ignition and...Nothing.
    All usual warning lights on at position II. Turn to position III and the relay clicks in the fusebox but no sound from the starter solenoid, nothing from starter motor, lights don't dim, battery appears fully charged, battery terminals cold. Put car in top gear and gave it a little push in case starter was stuck. Taken ignition, auxiliary ignition and starter relays out and gave them a tap then replaced them. It was getting dark by then so disconnected battery and have given up for now!
    Could the starter motor (original, 25 years old and 20,000 miles) give up suddenly like that? I've known a Nissan starter intermittently do that years ago, replacing cured it. I haven't yet checked the continuity on the fusible links, but anyway I can only start again on the car at the weekend as I work away during the week.

Anybody got any ideas or had this problem before????
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Never owned a 1.6....but....if your feeling brave.....12V +ve direct from battery to motor solenoid. Should narrow it down
    1989 MG Maestro Turbo #413

1986 MG Maestro EFi - Dead but still here
    1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 L - Dead and in heaven

2001 Rover 75 CDT (Daily Runner)

Comment

Check the little spade connector on the starter. Sometimes corrosion gets to them and simply plugging and unplugging a few times can fix it.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Had this problem on my 1.6HLS when brand new in 1986. Only 3 months old and one of the spade connections around the starter motor was doggy. cleaned it up myself at the road side.

Comment

Ok thanks everyone so far for your suggestions Actually I remember that I did have (believe it or not) this same problem on my new (well 18 months old) Mondeo MK1 (yes, I know...) and that did the same thing. One minute it started, next, nothing. AA transported it home and the dealer (Gates) replaced the starter under warranty.

I was actually thinking of the spade connectors and also to clean off any corrosion around all the earths.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            Ok thanks everyone so far for your suggestions Actually I remember that I did have (believe it or not) this same problem on my new (well 18 months old) Mondeo MK1 (yes, I know...) and that did the same thing. One minute it started, next, nothing. AA transported it home and the dealer (Gates) replaced the starter under warranty.

I was actually thinking of the spade connectors and also to clean off any corrosion around all the earths.
            HI Simon

If you have no luck with the spade connectors, give the starter motor and solenoid a solid tap a few times with a hammer.

Comment

The spade connector for the solenoid had fallen off, believe it or not!
              Thanks for all your advice on this problem. Now to enjoy the car once again!

Comment

Working...
              X