Coolant advice MG EFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant advice MG EFi

I've never heard the cooling fan operate in my car apart from when putting a bridge across the connecting wires, so I decided to replace the themo switch and at the same renew the coolant. The books say the capacity is 8.2 litres but I managed to get about half this amount in.

I did it nice and slowly to try and avoid air locks and then ran it up to temp to see if that purged anything. In the end I couldn't put anymore in. All the pipes were hot and so was the radiator, the interior heater was also working nicely. Any ideas?

It took about half an hour from cold before the fan cut in by the way.

Nick

without removing all the pipework from the block it can be difficult to get the whole system drained. As long as you drained what you could have and now have a good level of coolant I'd not worry.

Comment

As above. The block and heater will hold on to a lot of coolant.

You can test the rad switch by heating it up in a pan of water and measuring the resistance. At something like 90 degrees it'll go closed circuit to turn the fan on.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Thanks for that, makes sense. It doesn't loose anything day to day so I'll carry on as normal.

Comment

Working...
        X