Boot Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Lock

Due to the crud that accumulates over the boot during the winter, my boot has been getting harder and harder to lock and unlock. Its now reached the stage where I can’t turn the key in the lock and the boot is now open all the time. Putting WD40 down the aperture where the lock rotates provides a temporary cure for a few days. Is there any method for injecting grease into the lock mechanism to provide a long term cure?
    Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
    173,000 miles.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ha ha ha! It's happened to you too has it?

Remove the lock and dismantle it. What you will need to do is support the lock laterally in a vice with soft jaws or similar protection and don't squeeze too tight. Use a punch to knock back the burred edges of the retaining pin to facilitate its removal, then the barrel can be withdrawn after you have inserted the key. Remove any corrosion using wet and dry paper then lubricate the barrel aperture and reassemble, using a centre punch to burr over the edges of the locking pin hole so as to keep it in place. Refit lock to car. Enjoy. PS: I had to do this on my new Ledbury boot lock, a month after I fitted it to my car, hence the laughs...
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Squirt Waxoyl in all locks every three months. Works a treat.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

This may not help at all! when i first got my maestro must be nearly a year ago now the key would turn in the lock u pressed the button in and the boot would just not open it was gettin to the stage of using a crobar to get it open. I got fed up with that so i got the boot open after about an hour and a half anyway once opened i took that platic cover off where the rear screen motor and boot catch thing is consealed to remedy the problam i had i took it apart and fitted one i got from a scrap yard it was toaly different in desgin but so far its bin fine touch wood it stays that way.
        Nick
        > E185 UUD Austin Maestro 1.3HL (scrapped)
        > N902 XHH Ford Fiesta 1.8 Diesel Classic (scrapped)
        > KD07 NHB Hyundai Amica 1.0 CDX Auto (sold)
        > Y423 RHL Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Club (sold)
        > AJ06 *** Citroen C4 VTR Coupe 1.6 (current)

Comment

Working...
        X