Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wiper Trouble

Where do I start?....

Today with the assistance of Rich (e692 wtt) I swapped the front wiper motor from SRY to GGT, as GGT's original one wasn't self parking - job done.

Took the rear motors off both cars, and put SRY's into GGT. Still no self park. So, after putting SRY's Wiper Control Unit (found in the glovebox), and the rear wiper relay unit into GGT, it still wouldn't work. Now the wiper isn't working at all.

Is this a case of the wires coming into the tailgate from the roof of the car being broken?

Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

We appreciate the wiper control unit over the glovebox afffects the front wipers only, and the 'relay' is the rear wiper control unit. As well as swapping these over from SRY (along with the motor) we also swapped the dash switch. The 'relay' part of the rear wiper control unit seems to 'pull down' ok, but there seems to be no current at all now, after the wiper motor stopped just seeming to respond to the regular momentary 'pull downs' at the control unit. Problem with parking switch as well? It worked ok on SRY......

This detracted a bit from anotherwise cracking afternoon.

Cheers Steve and Dave.
    Last edited by e692wtt; 21st September 2003, 18:44.
    Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
    "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
    "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
    "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

stands a good chance of the wires been broken,apparentley it is a design fault with maestys (although they are a perfect car,montys included!! ).move the rubber cover off the wires in the top of the tailgate and just move them around (whilst rear wiper switch is on)and see if you get any response from it(12v never killed anyone yet!!:laugh: )this happened with mine.hth
      malc

Comment

i'd say the same, value anyone's input either way. cheers.
        Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
        "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
        "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
        "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

In the words of 'the real graig david' "can i get a rewind"!

The above is a bit confusing, Are the front wipers now ok? or are they still not self parking?

What was wrong with the rear wiper in the first place?

Have you got wiring diagrams for the car?

Andy
          CURRENT FLEET:
          1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
          1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
          1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
          2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
          1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE
            In the words of 'the real graig david' "can i get a rewind"!

The above is a bit confusing, Are the front wipers now ok? or are they still not self parking?

What was wrong with the rear wiper in the first place?

Have you got wiring diagrams for the car?

Andy
            None were self parking before. The front ones are now working 100%, but the rear one is not working at all.
            Before this it was working intermittently, but after replacing the old motor and relays, it worked then died.

Regarding wiring diagrams, I have them in the Haynes manual - not that I understand it though!

Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
            VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
            J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

well my first thoughts would be to check the fuse. then possibly it could be an earth problem.

if none of that works, then id start checking for power in the various cables/components. you will need a test lamp or better a multimeter for that. basic system testing means looking at the wiring and components and checking for input and output signals from each part.

assuming that your wiring is similar to a 1.3 city X/ L this is how I see it
              >power going into fuse slot A7 (ignition controlled)

>fuse A7

>wire from fuse A7 to sealed joint (light green)

>wire from sealed joint to rear wiper motor (light green)(wire incorporates a line connector)

>wire from sealed joint to feed side of rear wiper switch (this also links over to the washer switch to feed that) (light green)

>rear wiper switch

>wire from rear wiper switch to terminal 1 of the rear wash/ wipe unit (red/light green)

>wire from sealed joint to terminal 2 of the rear wash/wipe unit

>wire from rear wash/wipe unit terminal 8 to rear wiper motor(light green / red)

>wire from rear wash wipe unit terminal 5 to rear wiper motor (brown/ light green)

right, thats the layout of the system, have a look in the haynes and try and follow it through, you might understand it.

this is how i would test it:

check fuse first and replace it. test for power on the feed side of the fuse, if its there components before that are ok. make sure ignition is on and test for power at the end of the light green wire going into the switch. if its not present then theres a problem between there and the fuse, if it is ther good. test the switch is good by opperating it and testing for power on the red/light green wire going into it. if that is all good id check for power on the light green wire at the motor, this should be there as long as the ignition is on regardless of wiper switch. if thats ok go and test that the red and light green wire at the rear wash wipew unit is live when the swich is on, if it is thats ok.

im not sure which purpose the two wires (red/light green & brown/light green) are serving so i would just disconnect them and do a continuity test on them to check they are not broken. this is done by setting your multimeter to the ohms range and connecting each lead to an end of the wire being tested, you should get a low reading for a good wire if its a high resistance its obviously broken. if your meters leads are not long enough just wire in an extra length of wire to make an extension lead.

if after all that you dont know whats at fault it could be the control unit is bust or the motor. but at least you know the wiring is ok.

sorry about the length of this i got carried away with myself. i would expect at least a merrit for this essey at ONC level.:laugh:

Andy
              CURRENT FLEET:
              1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
              1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
              1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
              2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
              1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Working...
              X