Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotor arm and leads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rotor arm and leads

    Hi

    I'm changing the ignition leads and rotor arm myself for the first time and have a couple of questions.

    I've removed the allen bolt from the rotor arm but it seems stuck fast, do I need to give it a good yank to get it off?

    Which order do the spark plug leads attach to the distributer cap as I seem to have messed it up.

    TIA
    Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
    173,000 miles.

  • #2
    Update

    I've managed to replace the rotor arm and re-assemble everything, but the engine although turning over doesn't fire.

    Would putting the leads in the wrong order on the cap cause this?
    Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
    173,000 miles.

    Comment


    • #3
      yes because the distribiter is a mechanical switch used to fire each plug at the right time, by connecting them the wrong order you've probably got them firing all over the place.

      someone will probably be able to look at their engine and tell you the order, I replied to someone else about the firing order of a 1.3 dont know what engine yours is....
      Last edited by H48HPE; 12th August 2006, 16:37.
      CURRENT FLEET:
      1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
      1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
      1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
      2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
      1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

      Comment


      • #4
        Its a 1.6 as shown in the signature. The firing order is 1-3-4-2, butI dont know which lead to connect to which number on the cap.
        Last edited by D813YBB; 12th August 2006, 17:01.
        Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
        173,000 miles.

        Comment


        • #5
          if you can wait. if i get time on monday i can tap into auto data on the pc at work.. it may have a diagram i can send you .

          Graham

          Comment


          • #6
            All fixed

            By comparing the length of the old leads into the old cap which I hadn't removed I was able to copy it and get the car going.

            Maestro back on the road again!
            Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
            173,000 miles.

            Comment

            Working...
            X