Stuck on 99999

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on 99999

My car passed the 100000 mile mark on Thursday. However the milage recorder got stuck half way between 99999 and 100000. I've removed the instrument pack today to try to fix it. Does anyone know a way to move the figures so I can wind it past 100000 in the hope it will work again, and in such a way that the numbers line up correctly?
    Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
    173,000 miles.

It takes a little practice but if you slip a very thin screwdriver between the digits at the right spot, they will spin independently.
    Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

Hi

I now have a working milometer. I thought I would use the opportunity to put in an updated plastic surround that contains the later style clock in the car. When it all went back I noticed one of the instrument pack bulbs had gone off.
      However on attempting to take out the plastic surround out again and check the bulb, the surround will absolutely NOT release from the three retainers along the base of the aperture in the dash. I’ve pulled it this way and that so much so that its getting warped out of shape. I never had this problem with the older style. How do I get it out???
      173,000 miles.

Comment

Perhaps the car is telling you it liked the original surround better?

If you really need to get it out, and it is now warped, you may as well cut your losses and rip it out. I would bet the surround will always come off worse than the dash. Those three clips are very strong!

Comment

Make sure the top of the bezel is still located (but remove the screws first), and pull the bottom edge 'outwards' and slightly upwards at the same time.

The later bezels are certainly a tighter fit than the early ones, I've found, but they're not unmoveable. I've never had any major problems anyway (famous last words :laugh: ).

Glad you got the mileometer sorted .
          Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
          "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
          "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
          "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

Well, one broken screwdriver and 30 minutes of struggling later, the surround released itself without getting broken. But two of those metal retainers are well bent. Should get them back in shape with some pliers though.

Then one well scratched forearm later I managed to release the speedo cable from the pack and get that out. Thanks to some spare bulbs taken from a scrapped 'clubman' last year, I now have two working bulbs to illuminate the instrument pack at night.

They couldn't possibly have made it more awkward.

I'll wait till day light to put the plastic surround back in after I compare the fixing mounts with my old one, and clean up any scuffs off the dash.
            173,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by D813YBB
              Hi

...an updated plastic surround that contains the later style clock in the car.
              Do you mean the grey one with the orange illuminated reverse LCD clock, or the black surround, no chrome surround with the green reverse LCD clock instead of the green vacuum flourescent display? You can make the black surround style LCD clock glow orange by using the orange tinted filter of a later clock in lieu of the green one. You could also have made all your instruments glow orange instead of green, too!
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I compared the mounting points on the two surrounds and they are different: Old one is slide in slide out; new one is slide in and never come out. Why would they have changed this?

When I say later style I mean black surround, no silver trim and small green clock viewed through a slot. My original was black with faded silver trim and scratched green clock.

Has anyone got a spare set of the three metal retainers I could buy? (to fit the later style surround).
                173,000 miles.

Comment

Well that's a bit odd, because mine (same inst. surround...F reg. car) comes out without bother, although I have to say it does make an alarming pinging crunchy noise when doing so, albeit without any damage
                  M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                  X