No announcement yet.

1.6 L problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh thank Heavens for that! Mind you, this stands as proof positive that when G Force speaks, we all listen! Its always good stuff.
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Final update:

Just to let you all know that I traced the source of the problems to the earth connections on the car. Applying grease to the connectors which were very dry, cured the following problems:

• Front windscreen wipers operating when flashing the headlights

• Front and rear wipers operating when indicating

• Erratic idle (even though I have a split vacuum connector)

• Unstable temperature gauge readings

• Flasher and rear window wiper delay relays buzzing/sizzling

• Rear wiper coming on and staying on of its own accord.

Thanks to all who offered advice, especially GForce (again) and E_T_V. I would never have thought to check those items myself. Nevertheless I have learnt a lot more about the workings of the car.

However just when I was starting to relax, something else goes wrong – see new thread.
      Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
      173,000 miles.

Comment

The various problems

Hi,

I just posted on another thread before reading this one. Having read it I am experiencing exactly the same problems. The fast idle, but too slow on first start, the petrol smell, the low temperature reading etc.. I'm hoping to work through the same advice to see if I can get any change myself, but I find it amazing with the cars being so close in age (mine is a 1988 1.6 Mayfair S Series) and I assume the same spec, that this problem has replicated itself in my car.

By the way thanks for all the advice Gary, I'll try it out this weekend

Carol

Comment

Working...
        X