1.6 Themostat replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6 Themostat replacement

In the haynes manual it reccomends useing a smear of jointing compound on the gasket.What type of compound and do you smear it on both sides of the gasket as i carnt remember from the last time i did one.
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

I've never used sealant on the thermostat gasket. However when changing the stat I am always careful to scrape old gasket and dirt/corrosion off the head and 'stat elbow. I also place a sheet of emery cloth onto a known flat surface and rub the mating face of the housing in a circular motion to make sure it is flat. However, I do use copper grease on the 'stat elbow bolts to make sure they don't seize up in the future though, and never overtighten the bolts. The factory manual states 13Lbf for those.
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Hi

It is a personal choice but if you have a universal gasket you could choose to use a sealant, I would use a very thin smear of blue Hylomar on both sides of the gasket. If you have the thick genuine gasket you can get away without sealant.

Comment

Thats what i bought garry but i seam to remember some red stuff in a tube before.

David
        Sure & steadfast.
        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
          Thats what i bought garry but i seam to remember some red stuff in a tube before.

David
          You were thinking of the old red Hermetite. (I say "old", but it is probably still available!)
          1983 (Y) MG 1600
          1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
          1987 700 City 1.6 Van
          1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
          1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
          1990 Clubman D
          1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Originally posted by digital efi View Post
            You were thinking of the old red Hermetite. (I say "old", but it is probably still available!)
            Ah that was it .Might see if i can get some.
            Sure & steadfast.

Comment

yes i always use the red hermitite and copper slip the fixing bolts

Comment

Working...
              X