Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock absorbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shock absorbers

    As certain members of this forum will be aware, I should probably look at replacing all four of my shock absorbers in the near future. However, I'm aware there are several different types which are different heights/ratings.

    Does anyone know what height they should be for a 1987 Austin Montego 2.0HL? I've looked at EPC and it SEEMS what I need are GSA2079 and GSA2052 (Front and rear) - but it doesn't list any further data, and I know ARG kept changing part numbers on the same items. Many I've seen for sale so far only list the height and I want to be sure I'm buying the right items!





    Oh, and does anyone have any recommendation as to brand or is it irrelevant?



    Cheers!
    Sam Skelton

    RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

  • #2
    yes this is a bit of a problem finding the right strut.i was going
    to replace all my struts on my newest maestro but found they was so much higher then the ones i had on the shelf in the garage,the spring rateing was yellow.ive had to clean up the old front ones and will have to do the rear next.

    Comment


    • #3
      Measure your existing struts from the bolt hole to the bottom of the spring pan (Can't remember if it is the lower or top hole on the front but it'll become obvious).

      There are two heights for the front I believe 264 and 250mm.

      There are also a couple of heights for the rear too I think.

      So long as you get the same dimensions then you'll be fine.

      There is then only 2 more choices. Oil only or gas and oil. And then the brand.
      To be honest I don't really worry about the latter. If you get the choice then gas/oil are better than oil alone.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

      Comment

      Working...
      X