Anti Squeal Shims.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Squeal Shims.

My brake pads rattle a bit in the carriers (apparently). It has been suggested that squeal shims would sort that annoying sound. Is this true & if so where can they be obtained?

Try tightening the springs on the top of the pad

Comment

The only shims I can recall are on the back of the pad and won't stop the pad rattling in the calliper.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Back in 2010 I put performance pads in the car as I got them cheap from the garage we had & simply to replace the old ones from when I got the car, don't know why lol as I dry sedately but took them out & fitted new Unipart pads as the performance pads created so much brake dust. Oddly the original old pads & the performance pads didn't rattle so why do these? Are they of a smaller size or are they supposed to be all the same?

Comment

The pads should all be the same size. I've had the springs break on the top of the pad before though which can cause them to move in the caliper.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

All sorted now. Took wheels off to clean all under ready for MG's In The Park & noticed that Cotswold Classic Car Restorations failed to tighten up the caliper bolts. I cleaned the calipers, put back on & tightened properly & all is well.

They also failed to tighten all the bolts that hold the shocks through the turrets.

Comment

it was lucky you checked the caliper mounting bolts.
              and suspension bolts.as it could have ended with a accident.
              i always torque these bolts when ever i undo them to double check the tightness

Comment

Well that was lucky you checked what the noise was then!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMGprice View Post
                  Well that was lucky you checked what the noise was then!
                  It was. I won't be using them again to do any work on my car/s, that is for sure!

Comment

That is a real shame to hear, i was seriously considering using them for one of my cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
                      That is a real shame to hear, i was seriously considering using them for one of my cars.
                      Do so at your peril. I had heard good things about MAPS which is what it was called when the owner worked on his own, in fact I heard excellent things about him, one such comment on Saturday when I stayed at a B+B in Cirencester who's owner had used MAPS when a one man band but took his Lola & Transit Van in there not to long ago & he had a very dim view of the present outfit.
                      They still owe me my radiator as I supplied a new one but it was a Mk1 so smaller & subsequently wasn't fitted but my present one was reconditioned but I never got the other one back.

Lots of things I could say but would take me an hour to write it all up but things like I asked for my springs to be re painted & was told several times on the phone they had been then didn't notice they hadn't been till I had the car back here on a ramp so had to then have everything stripped back down to get them done up here but given they had left all the nuts loose would have had to be done anyway.

I will say what was done well was done well but the whole outfit down there has some serious issues.
                      Last edited by The Express Valeter; 3rd June 2014, 22:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X