X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• juddering montego

hello,
    happy May (fine weather 4 ducks )
    is there a thread on when moving off from standing?
    or am I the only one that suffers from this?
    mine comes and goes , I have had it as early as from 25.000 miles ( original clutch OEM clutch ) the way I use the clutch is with EXTREME CARE , I have not been able to pinpoint anything that triggers it like damp weather or dry/ cold /hot/ after it has been standing for days or being used regularly etc etc
    had several suggetions of different causes but would like to know it from the horses mouth .
    thank you all

What engine/gearbox is it?

Usual causes for clutch judder are a duff clutch or duff engine mounts. The latter is common on the EFI/Turbo's
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

hi ETV thank you for your reply.
      the engine is a turbo diesel perkins prima the car is a countryman estate registered in July 1994 original gearbox with it but I dont know what gearbox type it is .

I would rather think that the clutch is OK because of the very low mileage at which the judder started and the fact that I always use the clutch with the due care so I will have a go at the engine mountings. I have a spare top mounting that goes from the water pump to the chassis but for the one that goes on the gearbox I am not very confident of finding a new one (which I have not yet seen for sale ) or a second hand that would not be in the same condition as mine.
      I have been told that the bushes on the gearbox mounting are glued on and in that case it may not be possible to change them?
      the car was left standing in a garage from the end of 1994 to autumn 1998 is it possible that the rubber in the mountings perished then?

thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice

Comment

The diesel has a dogbone engine mount running from the rear/sump to the rear subframe. This area often gets soaked with oil and the rubber in the bushes can soften giving excess play. (All diesels got the PG1 gearbox).

Is the clutch actually juddering or is it the engine/gearbox moving in the engine bay.

If you slip the clutch on purpose do you get a regular judder. If so then this is most likely due to the clutch itself. If it is just a one off clonk then this is more likely to be engine mountings. (However worn engine mounts makes the clutch judder feel much worse!).
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

hello thank you for your advice
          sorry about my delay in replying but I have finally managed to realize that it is the clutch itself juddering
          I changed the engine mounting in front of the water pump and had the other two mountings checked but they were ok
          will get round to changing the clutch soon
          but in the meantime thank you very much for your quick response to my query !
          best regards Vince

Comment

Working...
          X