Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting

Could not start it when collected the car from the body shop in lincoln and the RAC took over an hour,it would turn over but not fire,He put new plugs and said it could prob do with new rota arm and leads but at that time of eve he couldnt get the correct ones.
    Eventualy he got it started and advised to keep it reved up so got on my way but missfireing until got home and left it on the front.
    Ive put new rota arm on and leads and even had the carb off and serviced but being off the car they couldnt check the auto choke.I did get it started again after 20 mins but when switced off it wouldnt start again.Ive orderd a coil for friday morning and told them they may have to collect it next week and sort it .Anything else it could be?
    Mot is due before the tax next month
    Last edited by TLC; 11th June 2015, 20:36.
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Autochoke O rings changed/inspected?
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

No tbh .would they make that much differance ? I do have some some where but it might be quicker to get some more ,who has them these days.
      Is there a diagram to show how to check/change them
      I can try a engine bay ecu as i have a spare s/h one that was working when taken of a 88 model the same .I have also a club s/h fuel ecu but i tryed that before and it made no differance .I had a new vacume switch in oct last year.
      Last edited by TLC; 11th June 2015, 22:53.
      Sure & steadfast.
      1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
        No tbh .would they make that much differance ?
        In extreme cases they can prevent the car running at all.

Usual things to check first are all the vacuum pipes (as they are a common problem point). Also plugs, leads, rotor arm and distributor cap.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Hi TLC

Have you tried the ignition ECU under the bonnet yet? If not give that a try to see if that changes things.

Comment

I plan to put the new lucas coil on and try my spare engine ecu over the w/e .I canrt check/hear weather or not the stepper motor is wornking ok or not and i havent a spare and nla.
            How do you check the o rings .
            Which pipe goes onto which pelum connector and which lead to the orfix valve or dosent it matter which way round.
            The vac pipes are ok as i did them last year.
            Sure & steadfast.

Comment

How do you check the o rings .

Hi to check the O rings you will need to remove the stepper motor and visually inspect them, so it does make more sense to fit the new ones as you have the stepper motor off.

Which pipe goes onto which pelum connector and which lead to the orfix valve or dosent it matter which way round.

Not sure if this answers your question? but, there is a pipe from the manifold (where the servo banjo is connected) to the inlet air temperature control valve connection with the smallest hole, the valve is located in the plenum chamber. A pipe from the same valve then connects to the inlet air temperature control flap actuator under the air filter box.

The vacuum pipe from the front of the carburettor connects to the vacuum switch via a tee-piece and then to the ignition ECU.

Comment

No change with a new coil & cap .Plugs were wet and black so supprised as i only drove back from Lincoln to Leic.
                Tryed spare enigine bay ecu but not differance.
                I will look at the o rings on sunday ,But who do i get them from if i need some ?
                Are there any relys that it could be.
                There is 2 connectors that go onto the orffix valve,which connector goes to what ,or doesnt it matter.
                Sure & steadfast.

Comment

There is 2 connectors that go onto the orffix valve,which connector goes to what ,or doesnt it matter.
                  Hi TLC

I doesn't matter which way round you connect the orfco valve wire no. To be honest it is better to check that the orfco is fully closed then leave the wires disconnected & taped up.

If the O-rings are ok you should check that the new vacuum switch you fitted has not failed.

Plugs wet and sooty suggests the problem is more fuel related rather than ignition. The things that can cause the engine to run that rich are failed choke O-rings, Failed vacuum switch, mixture maladjustment, choke staying on, or carb flooding.

Comment

On your drive home, was the temperature gauge reading properly? If not, that could suggest fuel control unit problems which can lead to starting and running problems.
                    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Simon it was normal.Ive tryed all that is mentioned apart from the stepper motor mainly as i carnt undo the screws and i dont want to bugger the heads up so can not try the spare one ive found.
                      Ive conceeded and told them to fetch it tuesday instead of weds as its bugging me and getting me down.
                      Last edited by TLC; 15th June 2015, 14:40.
                      Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Got some o rings if the garage needs them
                        Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Well the new lucas coil blew its top off at the garage but that wasnt the cause of the non starting nor was all the other bits i tryed but the crank sensor wireing had a break in it.
                          Atm i dont know where the break was only that its been repaird and also a new sensor fitted.
                          I got them to mot it but it failed on emmissions because the choke had been serviced elswhere off the car ,the horn didnt work as the bodyshop in lincoln hadnt reconnected them and the rear fog lamp didnt work which ive had before as the plug onto the lamp corroded together some years ago and i had to bypass some of the connector.
                          Ive left it there for them to sort out on monday.
                          Iam getting a replacement coil from the supplier in the post foc so will try it to make sure its ok then keep it as a spare.
                          Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Erractic ideling

My garage is haveing a problem getting the ideling to settle and he is saying faulty stepper motor ?but have asked them to get it through the mot first.
                            The stepper motor was ok when it was last run so dont think it is that but as he didnt touch / look at the stepper motor i asked him to put 2 new rings on to see if that is the cause.
                            Any other reasons it could be ?
                            Last edited by TLC; 22nd June 2015, 08:12.
                            Sure & steadfast.

Comment

The garage has set the emissions to about 3 but wouldnt remove the stepper moter as the screws were siezed and he didnt want to risk breaking them.
                              So i will have to either leave it atm and see have the car performs or take it up to the carb center for them to have a look at and possably swap my spare carb over and put my spare stepper motor on when ive got some screws from rimmers.
                              Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Working...
                              X