Gear Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Selection

Hi, having problems with my gears tonight, to select first I have to go past the gate which normally takes you to reverse, so hence got no reverse. But my gears are very difficult to find, gearlever is floppy, like it's in Neutral, while it is in gear.

Is this easily fixed, or is it a new gearbox?

Bob

Which engine? / Gearbox

If it is a VW gearbox then it is probably a linkage issue.
    If it is a PG1 gearbox then you may have broken the universal joint and need to repair/replace it.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

How do I know, it's a 1987 1.6 HL...does that help

Comment

Likely one of the ball/socket connectors on the gear change linkages has popped off. Open bonnet, and look at the back of the engine bay behind the gearbox.

The ball/socket wears with age and sometimes unsympathetic gear changes or being rough with the gear stick can cause them to pop off.

Comment

Easy fix?? Or major headache?

Comment

Easy fix if it is a linkage popping off. Pop it back on and look for a new linkage rod (As yours may be worn if it has popped off by itself).
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Is this the part...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEARBOX-SE...item3f52dc02e4

Comment

No. They have sockets on the end for the ball to sit in at the rod end and the gearbox end.

There are different ones for 4 and 5 speed boxes too so make sure you get the correct one.

In the meantime, pop the current one back on.

Comment

Worth checking the selector rod lever DAM7742 (No 15 in the picture) isn't starting to crack where the boss attaches to the lever allowing the gearchange to flop around. NLA from Rimmers though and the substitute part they suggest isn't suitable.
                  Attached Files
                  M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Popped the thing back together again, all seems good. Now just need a permanent fix, can you get these parts?

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X