none starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• none starter

ok,i have a 1.6 s series that wont go...
    as i was driving it last week it cut out and has never run since.
    checked for a spark.. had all 4 plugs out and cranked the engine , all 4 have a nice spark.
    all the plugs was wet.
    could the carb have gone faulty? pumping too much fuel in to run?
    anybody any thoughts? and or parts?
    Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Originally posted by tony View Post
    ok,i have a 1.6 s series that wont go...
    as i was driving it last week it cut out and has never run since.
    checked for a spark.. had all 4 plugs out and cranked the engine , all 4 have a nice spark.
    all the plugs was wet.
    could the carb have gone faulty? pumping too much fuel in to run?
    anybody any thoughts? and or parts?
    Hi tony

Checking for a spark with all the plugs out, is ok but if the rotor arm is the problem it can still give a normal spark until the plugs are back in the engine.

Test the rotor arm as follows:

You can test the rotor arm by holding the end of the coil HT lead (with insulated pliers) 10mm away from the centre of the rotor arm & crank the engine. If you get a spark jumping to the centre of the rotor arm, then the rotor arm is faulty.

If the car spluttered to a halt at a junction it could be the carb that flooded. To check this unscrew the carb damper rod then lift the dash pot piston with the rod by holding the rod at an angle, (careful not to be rough and bend the rod)then have someone try to start the engine with a little throttle.

Your coil question answer is 15 = + and 1 = - But the coil must be of the correct type for programmed ignition.

Cheers, Gary

Comment

it was the rota arm, thanks ,and they had one in stock at the car shop too.
      Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

Working...
      X