Fast Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Idle

I've been contacted by an offline club member who is having some difficulties with a Montego 1.6L, 1985/86 MY. The car is reluctant to start and when it does, he's finding that it tends to idle very fast. I imagine there could be any number of things causing this, but he guesses auto choke or ECU.

I don't have anything more specific to go on at the moment, but if there are any ideas I can come back to him with I'm sure he'd be really grateful for any advice any of you can offer. I do know that the car is quite exceptional and it would be nice to sort this and keep it on the road rather than it ending up being laid up unused.
    Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
    2011 Jaguar XJ

Could be a fuel ECU fault causing it to go into cold start/full choke mode at every start. If this is the case, how does the temperature gauge behave. This can also be a problem due to a duff temperature sensor in the thermostat elbow.
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

hello Jonathon

as simon is saying, the coolant sensor and wiring could give the said problem. if the temp gauge shows around a quarter when the engine is cold then that is a good indication that this is where the trouble is.

if when the ignition is first turned on, the temp gauge should show high with the warning light flashing this would be more likely to be a faulty ecu.

a good check for air leaks in the vacuum and breather systems should be carried out as air leaks are a common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post

a good check for air leaks in the vacuum and breather systems should be carried out as air leaks are a common problem.
        Despite a thorough check 3 years ago, a recent check showed my Maestro was riddled with split elbows. Ran so much better with new ones fitted...
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I've passed on all the good advice here. It turned out that the problem was just a vacuum leak as I understand it, and all is now well again.
          Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
          2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Mine still has low revs after its been started and warmed up .Its had new vac pipes when they serviced the carb and set it up and it was set up at base level with the auto choke dissconected .I will have to take it back but am looking for idears to pass onto them at the carb center
            Sure & steadfast.
            BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
            1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
            1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
              Mine still has low revs after its been started and warmed up .Its had new vac pipes when they serviced the carb and set it up and it was set up at base level with the auto choke dissconected .I will have to take it back but am looking for idears to pass onto them at the carb center
              Hello TLC

The following link might be useful to you or your garage mechanic, as it contains info on tuning and pre-tuning checks that if followed systematically might remedy your running problem.

Regards G Force

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3083

Comment

Working...
              X