Tyres and fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres and fitment

Please excuse me if this is a well covered topic, i have searched but haven't found the exact answer. My new purchase requires two new tyres. I know these are a nice odd size 180/65 365 i beleive. Will a 'standard' size tyre fit the rim or will i need to source the original size. I'm a bit hesitant to fit other wheels as im aiming to keep it standard looking. Every tyre site i put my reg into states 185/65 r14 as the required size. Its a c plate 1.6 hl.

TIA.

Ok think i've found the answer. Looks like new wheels or majorly expensive tyres

Comment

Yes, metric tyres aren't exactly common these days. Someone was selling a full set of 14 inch new cheesegrater alloys which would usually have been an option on the car when new.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

MGF spare 14" steel wheels can be used to replace the old metrics on Montegos.
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Most late spec diesels and ledburys came with 14 inch steel wheels too.

Comment

Thanks guys i've managed to get some n.o.s dunlops put on it but will be looking into replacements, the MGF steel option sounds a good idea though as im sure they'll be a lot easier to source than later monetgo ones!

Comment

For example, this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-SPARE-...gAAOSw9mFWJPgI

Comment

If only they did 15 inch versions!

Comment

One question for those though, whats the reason for the speed limitation? Is it because of the tyre or just rover erring on the side of caution?
                  Also looking at other possibilities, do 13's fit ok? Or would there be caliper issues?

Cheers
                  Last edited by MrMatt; 6th November 2015, 23:10.

Comment

Rover erring on the side of caution due to an odd size of tyre on an axle. There is no reason why 4 of these fitted to a Montego cannot be driven normally, so don't worry. In any case I would advise new tyres as the rubber might be past its best - you can go for 185/65 - 14.
                    13 inch wheels are OK, but 5 inch rims and 165/80 - 13 tyres.

Comment

I think 185/65 - 14 is what i have .Must check .
                      Sure & steadfast.
                      BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                      1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                      1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Working...
                      X