Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv joint for a 1994 montego clubman estate 2.0 TD

hello ,
    can anybody tell me what is the difference between the outer cv joint for a 1994 montego clubman estate 2.0 TD and other montego 2.0 petrol versions?
    my car needs a new outer joint and could not find any on Ebay as out of the many cv joint listed all of them said that they would not fit my estate 2.0 TD but would be ok on 1.3 / 1.6 and 2.0 petrol montegos .
    I then found a local car accessory shop that said could supply me with this part for £50 .
    I bought it but when I attempted to fit it on found that the new part had a bigger diameter on the outside than mine and 32 splines on the inside whereas mine had 22 .
    (the splines for the wheel hub were 25 same as mine .)
    The shop told me that according to my number plate they had supplied the correct part .....but I know that this driveshaft is the original that came with the car when it was new , shop owner said you cannot argue with the computer !.
    I looked on ebay again and found some CV joints with same splines as mine 25 outside and 22 inside but they state that they are not suitable for estate cars ............I find it strange that a shaft should be different for an estate car than for a saloon car?
    I am still waiting for the shop to contact me to tell me wheter they have found a suitable CV joint
    I will be grateful for any of your opinions

IIRC, the Turbo diesel and Turbo petrol cars had a stronger drive shaft, so may well have had a different CV joint. Many years ago I think I bought a diesel one to find it didn't fit my petrol turbo.

Hope that helps,

Ian
    Ian Drew
    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
    MG ZT V8
    Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

I bought the shaft from a shop paying £ 50 rather than from ebay for an average of £ 15 including P&P because I thought that to buy it from a "reputable high street outlet " would ensure that I get the right part . the shop insists that shaftec supplied the correct shaft for the number plate given and due to the time elapsed between the supply and me returning it (three weeks ) they did not take it back , ( he who has got the money is always in a stronger position when disputes arise ...... ) I have now bought another one but will not fit it (or attempt to fit it ) til late next week .
      your message above suggests that, as I suspected , the diesel car, not being as powerful as a turbo petrol version ,did not need a driveshaft as big as a turbodiesel petrol engine hence the driveshaft for my car being smaller in diameter and only 22 splines rather than 32 splines and a big diameter although the size of the 25 splines shaft going through the wheel hub are the same for both cars ?

Comment

Working...
      X