power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering

i am trying to fit power steering to my sons 1.6 montego,today i have got the pump,rack and pipe work i just need the pully and pump bracket.has anybody got these or the part numbers i can have so i can track them down.one last thing has anybody got pictures so i can see how it all fits
    Thanks Mick

You'll also need the steering linkage and plastic plate where it goes through the floor to join to the rack.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I have the joint and the plastic cover from my turbo spares just need the pully and bracket

Comment

I've got the lot only trouble is I want to sell it as a lot as well was thinking around £100 for whoever conversion kit so probably more than you want to spend on the couple of bits you need

Comment

What year is the Montego because some parts are year sensitive eg pre 88 facelift/post 89 facelift.
          Last edited by Simon; 1st March 2016, 19:41.
          M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
          Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

The montego is on a f pre facelift so I think it's 1988.

Comment

If it is a manual you need a special rack with the brackets to affix the gearchange mechanism GSR345. Post 88 manual models with the Honda gearbox and pre 88 models with auto boxes don't need this bracket so any Maestro/Montego PAS rack would do (eg as fitted to the 2.0 and diesel models which are more numerous, unfortunately). You'll also need a different offside engine mounting ADL3037 as these incorporate the quadrant slider for the pump adjustment. Once more, these are different depending on whether a manual or automatic box is fitted and are not interchangeable. There is a modified upper timing belt cover UAM3154 which is extended to protect the belt. You'll need the trombone arm shaped cooling pipe that goes under the sump ADL3773. Again rare if not ravaged by rust. A copy could be fabricated from copper pipe. This fits on a bracket on the front of the sump using one M6 set screw.
              You need the gearchange relay bracket that bolts onto the rack too, because that is unique to the PAS S series car if it manual DAM 7383. Ignore this if it is an auto.
              The PAS Belt GFB10706
              PAS Pulley CAM9989 and stiffener ring PQR10001, plus the 3 mounting bolts FS106121
              I'd fit new track rod ends
              The PAS pump itself UAM3144 and its mounting bolts, nuts and washers.
              The flexible hoses high pressure NAM6644; low pressure cooler to pump NAM6646 low pressure to pump NAM 9166
              Good luck getting the rack out of/back into the car with the engine installed - it's a horrible job and the exhaust has to be undone at the manifold/front pipe joint, so a new gasket would be an good move here, too. Oil filter access will be difficult after conversion.

Some pics/info of my own 1.6 car with PAS are here:
              http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...ighlight=1.6sl
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Simon; 1st March 2016, 19:45.

Comment

power steering

Just done this on a mg 1600 [s series] ,a fiddly job,exhaust definetly needs dropping off,then rack will push through fairly easily.
                Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Thanks for the reply.I have all the bits except the pulley,engine mount,pump bracket and timing cover.next question does anybody have these bits and want to sell them to me

Comment

Mg16 you have a p.m

Comment

Rimmer Bros have the pulley and engine mount listed but might not be available. All other bits you want is NLA from there but it is worth a try. Pump bracket is CAM9973 or UAM7764.

Comment

Thanks for looking Simon I have had a look as well and to make life easier I am buying the complete kit from Bob (mg16) next week probably work out cheaper in the long run.Not the end of the world at least I will have a spare pump,rack and pipe work

Comment

That makes sense. I do have a spare engine mounting, but I want to keep it as a spare in case the one on the car breaks.

Comment

Working...
                          X