Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector washers OUT OUT OUT!

How?
    My TD was blowing round one of the injectors, so I got a spare washer and pulled the injector (amazingly, it came out in less than two minutes) but how on earth do I get the washer out?

I've ground a flat wood drill to the right size, blunted the spike in the middle and filed a tiny notch in each wing to leave a raised ring round the washer. Hand operated with grease to catch the swarf and I seem to have got away with it. There's no sign of blowing now, at least.

However - I've still go the washer, and in case it happens again, how on earth do I get the old one out?

The washer most often sticks to the bottom of the injector so you don't need to remove it. If you want a very quick and dirty way of removing the washer try turning over the engine to "blow" the washer out. Warning it may be ejected with EXTREME velocity.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Would a magnet help? Or is it (as I suspect) a copper washer and therefore non magnetic? Some kind of home made wire hook would be my preferred method.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by skipweasel
        How?
        My TD was blowing round one of the injectors, so I got a spare washer and pulled the injector (amazingly, it came out in less than two minutes) but how on earth do I get the washer out?

I've ground a flat wood drill to the right size, blunted the spike in the middle and filed a tiny notch in each wing to leave a raised ring round the washer. Hand operated with grease to catch the swarf and I seem to have got away with it. There's no sign of blowing now, at least.

However - I've still go the washer, and in case it happens again, how on earth do I get the old one out?
        Get a "flat bladed" screwdriver on which the "taper" of the blade- inwards fits inside the internal diameter of the sealing/copper washer.
        Remove the injector, and gently place the screwdriver down into the head - where the injector would normally be.
        Give the head of the screwdriver a sharp tap. The "taper" is pushed into the "hole" in the centre of the sealing washer. Because the washer is (copper) soft , it usually "grips" blade of the screwdriver and the washer can be withdrawn.
        Last edited by BIGLAD; 10th March 2005, 00:04. Reason: typo- injectotor!!!!!!!

Comment

A good way I use is to insert the point of a pencil through the hole of the washer, then pull it out that way.
          1994 Maestro Clubman TD 215K and counting!
          WANTED! Maestro steel sunroof '86 on - any condition!

Comment

Originally posted by MG1600S
            A good way I use is to insert the point of a pencil through the hole of the washer, then pull it out that way.
            It's far too tight for that. The screwdriver sounds like it might be good. However - since I don't need to yet 'cos I got away with refacing it I'll remember it for another time.

Comment

I know this is a very old thread, but in case someone else is looking; I just dug through my spare bolts till I found one the right size to just thread into the washer, and pull it out.

Comment

Official rover way is to use a pencil. I joke you not, it is in the official rover training guide!
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                  Official rover way is to use a pencil. I joke you not, it is in the official rover training guide!
                  Only use a pencil if you are good with figures, otherwise you can use a calculator as it will be easier to work it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X