Differences between Turbo & EFi engine - MG Montego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Turbo & EFi engine - MG Montego

Just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a comprehensive list of the differences between the two engines in the MG Montego please?

Obviously, we know one has a carb and a Turbo and the other has fuel injection, but just looking for any other differences. I know the Turbo had a lower compression ratio, so I'm guessing Pistons are different?

A comprehensive list would be good. I was planning on a T16 conversion on my MG Montego 2.0i, but I've decided I'd rather have an 8v EFi Turbo as I like the original look of the engine bay, plus it will have more of the torque characteristics that Montego had.

lots of differences, both manifolds, pistons, possibly conrods, exhaust valves, lots of wrapping of manifolds, cooling system, intercooler.. there is a lot more to do as well, you could look at my car "the mad maestro" it has taken many years to get everything sorted, but it runs well and is quite surprising how well it goes, its a good project if you are local to me your welcome to come and have a look at it, however it is currently up for sale on ebay and pistonheads... regards ricky
    home of the "mad maestro"
    rover sterling kv6 and four tailpipes on lenso rs5's
    1935 Morris 18/6 being rejuvenated with xj6 parts

Comment

Pistons
      Extra studs on the exhaust manifold
      Sodium filled exhaust valves which are a larger diameter stem/guide than EFI ones.
      Oil drain into the block
      Oil pump has a feed for the turbo
      Can't remember but I have a vague recollection about oil squirters but that might be my memory failing me.
      Clutch
      That is about it on the engine front.
      If you have an EFI and want to turbo if then i'd fit some turbo pistons and then you'll need aftermarket management to make it all work properly.
      Last edited by E_T_V; 23rd August 2016, 21:47.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I have fully converted the efi engine to turbo spec. The efi block is identical to turbo spec - just turbo pistons are needed. The oil return pipe for turbo is just a press fit 30sec job. Obviously turbo oil pump - although the efi one can be modified. Con-rods are identical and yes oil squirts from a little pin hole at big ends on actual con-rod to cool pistons. Sump could be different between the two but - just swap. Turbo head is way different from efi - although they are a direct swap. I have converted an efi head to turbo spec as well without too much difficulty. The reason why i done this conversion in the first place is - I was lucky enough to obtain a brand new efi engine.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Working...
        X