Problem with my MG Montego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my MG Montego

I have had an issue with my MG Montego for almost a year now and am no nearer solving the problem.

The car runs perfectly for the first 2 to 3 miles and then develops an intermittent hesitation which I have not been able to cure.

It may be coincidence but the problem seemed to appear after I replace the ht leads, coil, distributor cap and rotor arm. The issue did not seem to get any worse and sometimes almost disappeared. However a few weeks ago the car stuttered to a halt and had to be recovered. I found that there was no spark at the king lead and replacing the old distributor cap and rotor arm cured the problem but the hesitation was still there.

I have replaced the ht leads with the old ones, changed the coil twice and replaced the crank sensor. I have also swapped the ignition ecu. I am getting no further trying to solve this and am looking for inspiration please!

Ray
    MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
    Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
    MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Hi Ray, I would bet on the rotor arm, buy a good quality branded part and try that. Failing that then the coil, again get a good branded or performance part. I would be 99.9% certain that will fix it. May be worth sticking a new cap on too at the same time?
    Last edited by G4GLM; 26th July 2017, 06:57.

Comment

Hi Ray
      Thinking back to when you first changed the rotor arm for a new item along with the other new components, did you have any difficulties removing the rotor arm? If you had to use a lot of force there is a possibility that the stub shaft that the rotor arm sits on has twisted in its rubber bush. If you think that might have happened remove the distributor cap and check the rotor arm can't be turned in its bush with your fingers. If anything, the rotor arm should only just about move a millimetre or so in each direction before springing back in its rubber bush.
      Regards, Gary

Comment

What is considerd a quality brand for a rotor arm thesedays as Lucas isnt as good a brand as it once was Haveing said that i use a lucas coil however i had one new lucas coil blow its top off
        Sure & steadfast.
        BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
        1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Working...
        X