Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro 1.3 tuning- possible???

Hello,

still speaking theoretical, but what do you think about tuning a 1.3 Maestro engine? Do you think any serious power could be gained? I mean tuning as much as possible- increasing capacity to about 1.45, lighter pistons and connecting rods, other carbs (supposedly webers, or 2 SUs), lightened flywheel and maybe a gearbox with taller gear ratios. Speaking of which- is it possible to fit a taller VW box on a Maestro? And what about adding turbo?
    We're really curious if it is possible to make a furious little wasp out of a 1.3???

I don't think you'll really get very much out of the standard engine. The gearbox on the Bulgarian Maestros are closer ratio than normal (van boxes) and that makes them good for acceleration as it is.
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Originally posted by Kromida View Post
      Hello,

still speaking theoretical, but what do you think about tuning a 1.3 Maestro engine? Do you think any serious power could be gained? I mean tuning as much as possible- increasing capacity to about 1.45, lighter pistons and connecting rods, other carbs (supposedly webers, or 2 SUs), lightened flywheel and maybe a gearbox with taller gear ratios. Speaking of which- is it possible to fit a taller VW box on a Maestro? And what about adding turbo?
      We're really curious if it is possible to make a furious little wasp out of a 1.3???
      Am no expert but I am almost certain when they come along they will say no and it would cost loads. Engine swap would be the best option The 1.3 A series metro turbo is about 98ish BHP most people don’t get over 130 with tuning. Best option for power would be an O Series turbo engine (around 150 standard) or T series turbo engine (Around 200 standard)
      MG Maestro Turbo #500
      BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
      Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Surely the world is your oyster when choosing to tune an A series? There's even a thick book to guide you through every possible modification: Tuning The A Series by David Vizard. There's nothing you can do to it that hasn't been done before.

It might be safe to say that tuning an A series in a Maestro isn't the best idea going. Why not try doing it in something smaller and lighter? Or buy a Maestro with a bigger engine?

Comment

The A series is hugely tunable but defeats the purpose of a 1.3 Maestro - Nippy, economical but not fast...

Comment

i looked into doing this to my maestro abd the A series can be tuned to make about anything up to 150bhp, this costs a lot of money though as you will find most of the tuning bits for mini and metro will not fit due to the manifolds being differnt as the engine sits the other way around in the maestro.

i when for the o series 150bhp turbo convertion in the end, much cheaper......................!!!!!!!!did i really just say that!!!!!....................if you swap bits straight from one car to another

Comment

I have a 1.6 Montego in the hood, but we want to try out and do something nice out of this 1.3, a little challenging idea.
              Any idea on where I can find that book?

Comment

You should be able to get Vizzards book off ebay or amazon. Theres a lot of cheap little tweeks you can do to get the power up and some very expensive ones. The works metro turbo touring cars of the early 80s were putting out somewhere in the region of 230bhp from turbo 1293 A series!

Comment

You have a 1.6 Montego? So you have an S series engine knocking about? I'd use that instead, if you want more power and torque. I imagine the low geared van 'box on that would make it go like stink...
                  Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                  VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                  J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

It makes sense to use a 1.6 or 2.0 to tune otherwise the £ per hp gain will be huge! Tuning a 1.3 to something to compete with a 1.6 or 2.0??

Of all the times to throw money at an engine now is the worst! I would think about that. Even if your industry is not affected by the recession it soon will be! I don't mean to be pessimistic but the resell value of a 1.3 engine will not be the best return!!

Comment

Working...
                    X