lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering

how easy would it be to lower the ride height of my montego countryman,'94 plate,and has anybody got any links etc where i can get the parts and cost pls.

The only way is to buy a lower spring set. Try Moto-build as they still supply them, either 1" or 2" ( about £100 a set). Best changing the shocks too and you can get different spring seat height shocks, but your car may already have the lowest. Kayaba, still list gas shocks, check their catalogue for seat heights, I have a copy and can post up the part numbers for the different seat heights if you want ( Dirt cheap too for gas shocks, like £80 a set!). If money is no object, get a set of Spax adjustables ( adjustable ride height too!) from Rimmer Bros etc. About £500 for a set of 4! You don't get springs with them though!
    Last edited by Jumturbo; 8th May 2009, 16:09.
    sigpic
    63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
    'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
    '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
    '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
    'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
    '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
    'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Or i have cut the springs,on the front,by around 2" ,and rears at around 1" in the past.

Ive had no problems ,with the most cars ive done it too,but most on here,will probably not recomend it,or either do it!
      1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
      1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
      1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Comment

mine are cut downs and they are fine

Comment

i thought of this with my maestro.....as its on stilts
          but raggin it round sharp bends...for me personally...it dont roll that much to warrant the expense or hassel

i like the ride height for some harsh rally dirt roadin lol
          [like RS200 kit car maestro chassis conversion jobs-so i hear.......]
          0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Comment

From experience, I wouldn't recommend lowering more than one inch for domestic use. Not unless your idea of fun is suspension so harsh you can drive over a penny and know whether it's heads or tails up. Additionally, going too low puts the driveshafts at a very awkward position which imo must accelerate wear, but that's as I say, just imo.

The only exception to that is Ledbury and Apple Maestros: you need to lower them by about twelve inches to be at the same height the Austins and MGs were sold at
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Lowering has it's 'ups and downs' so to speak. Lowering will reduce torque steer, improve cornering ( if uprated), lower centre of gravity and look cool! But also the sump is very vulnerable as I learnt one day! Also I found 2" springs on the back meant a verrrrry lowwww Montego when going to Cornwall with a full load! I changed the rears to 1" but kept 2" on the front and the stance seemed spot on Not sure I would chance cutting springs down though, as the curly bit that sits into the spring seat would sit awkwardly and not flat? Also most lowered springs have an increased pessure rate.
              sigpic
              63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
              'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
              '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
              '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
              'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
              '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
              'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Not good on oil filters to as these can ground out on 2.0 diesel and petrol. My turbo van went two three of them, as these are more easily damaged than sumps as they are a lot finner gage steel and seem to hang lower than the sump.

Comment

I am actually in the process of sorting out raising my car back up again because it is too low and causes problems with speed bumps and steep cambers when pulling out of drives, etc.

I think the Montego estate is higher than the saloon, so I have read that 1" lowering springs that are meant for a saloon, will lower the car by two inches.

Comment

I wouldn't fit lowering springs to a diesel as they are rated for the petrol engine which is lighter. You will find the front will sit too low and be softer than is comfortable. Lowering an estate is not easy as there is nothing existing off the shelf. You could try cutting down your front springs and fitting standard mg rear springs as these will sit lower and have an ok load capacity.

If you can find anyone selling adjustable suspension or coilovers for the front they would be a better solution than cut downs? I don't know that they are so bad but some frown on them!

I was going to do this but I found a better project for my front leda coilovers they are going on the front end of my T16!! The rear will be 1" lowered springs.

Comment

i found AVO springs for the maestro, anyone more brand?

Comment

I have loweredmy car and it has reduced torque steer no end (o series turbo) and body roll. It is a little bit hard riding now but still better i think than my zs180, which was on mg rovers standard springs.

The sump on my car is 11.5 cm off the ground and the legal height of a speed hump is 10cm max. most are about 6cm. It only would be close if i when over the half size humps as the wheels are still on the level ground but still 1.5 cm clearnace on the highest humps.

I am not sure of the make of the springs only that they are red andwere given to me free when i brought my first turbo in 2002

Comment

PUMA do lowered springs 35mm drop for MMs - not many places stock them now, if any.
                          Larkspeed probably the best place to ask although they don't list them online anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X