Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate wheels for Monty?

Hi guys,

I've got the TD 180/60 wheels and tyres on my '85 Monty, and as you know they are getting very hard - and expensive to get. Does anyone know if the steel wheels off say the Rover 200/400 or even the 600 would fit, so I can run 185/65's??

Cheers!!

They have a different stud patern than most but you could get some steel rims of any monty/maestro as they can run "normal" sizes, you can also get MGF alloy wheels to fit (they may need spacers/slight mods).

Comment

Any Maestro Montego Rims will bolt straight on.

As Bob mentioned you can also use the various styles of MGF/TF alloy wheels, but it's advisable to fit a set of 3-4 mm spacer rings if you go this route.

Mal.

Comment

what stud patern use the maestro? if i put 16" of TF y need to modify something?

Comment

TF wheels will bolt straight on with no mods. PCD for monty/mgf/tf are same 95.25x4 and centre spigot is same too.
          sigpic
          63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
          'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
          '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
          '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
          'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
          '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
          'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

another question: TF160 front brakes. its easy to put it on maestro?

in 16", wich tire goes better? 195/45 16?

Comment

For an almost exact match for rolling radius, and minimal variation on speedo reeding.

214/45/16

Comment

Not sure MGF/TF brakes will fit, never tried this, but I suspect they will not as the hub carriers I think differ. As far as tyres go, the later MG Maestros used 185/55/15 giving an overall side wall depth of 102mm. Take off 12mm from the side wall to account for the 16" rims (25mm bigger in diameter, but 12.5mm on side wall) and you end up with new side wall of 89 or 90mm ish. 195x0.45 = 87.75mm, so only 1 or 2mm lower. These will do, or if you want wider, 205/45 = 92.25mm, a bit taller but still ok. Or even 215/40 = 86mm, a bit lower, but 4mm in radius will not make a lot of difference, cheers.
                sigpic

Comment

i think 215 is too much for 114 bhp no?
                  Jumturbo, what you use in 16"??? how it goes on rain?
                  Last edited by edus; 21st June 2009, 11:58. Reason: i dont see the post of jumturbo

Comment

Hi Edus, the wheels on the green car are 7.5x16 with 215/40/16 rear and 205/45/16 front. There is plenty of side wall with these and the handling is fine in the wet. Tyres are Goodyear Eagle front with Falcon FK rears. There is not much difference between 16 an 15 that you would notice, but ride will be slightly firmer and noisier. If you see my white car in my album, that had 17" wheels, 225/35/17 rear and 205/40/17 front. You notice the difference over 15" but imo handling improved in combination with poly bushes and lowered uprated suspension. If you have bumpy roads where you are, 16" will probably be your best bet especially on a Maestro. I'm a bit of a wheel nut and have got some 18" for the green monty, but will not advise this yet as I haven't tried this set up as car is still away for respray Also Montegos can take wider wheels than Maestros, so don't go more than 7x16. MGF/TF wheels should be perfect on your Maestro, but not sure if the 215 tyres will project beyond the front arches. I suspect they'll be ok but you could try 215/40 on back with the 195/45 on front.
                    sigpic

Comment

MGF trophy 4 pot brakes will fit with some modifications, but you'll need 16+ inch wheels for them to fit under.

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...+brake+upgrade
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

wow, yes, i was checking your photos, very nice both, but i prefer the green one .

why you use bigger tires rear than front? more than 16" i don't want, in my tomcat i've got 17" and i had to repair one because the roads .

i like 195/45 16 but maybe 205/50 16 are better for the roads.

when i need to change tires, i'll buy the wheels and then the new tires

Comment

Hi edus, don't go for 205/50/16, too big in diameter, use 205/45 or 205/40. I used wider tyres on the back cos the rear arches are slightly wider and I guess I was kind of copying other high performance cars! No real reason though apart from that! My new wheels for the green car have same size all round, 215/35/18!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

18" wheels on montego !!!!!

my maestro originaly had 175/65 14 tires, then i bought the original 15" with 185/55 15 like the latest maestros, and mi idea is 16" TF 11 ¿spokes? and i search wich tire has the better ratio price/properties.

Jum you have photos with 18"?

Comment

Not yet, car is still away for respray. Maybe in a month or so!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X