X Spokes in black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Spokes in black?

Ebayer has some X-spokes up for auction and couple are painted black (pinched his piccy to show on here)...

Got me wondering what they'd look like 'on' the car?
    It's alright, I'm not buying these, I'd do my own.
    Never ever seen any black - of course, you could buy them in white, but methinks black might look ok.

Not with the crappy 'red-oxide look' rim edge as pictured, but if that part was polished alloy and spoke area gloss black... hmm.
    Gives them a different look altogether imo. Surprised nobody has done it before (perhaps they have?).

They dont look like my cross spokes! Me thinks they arent for a Maestro or Montego.

Comment

no they are not for our cars look nothing like x spokes.

Comment

oh yeah... silly me.
        chrise, no wonder I thought they looked different.
        They would do wouldn't they!

Just had a quick decko at mine, these are similar but ours are solid in middle.
        Wonder what these are from, and which manufacturer was first, who copied who?

Still think it's worth trying though to paint a Monty Maesty X spoke black and leave edge silver. I'll have a go when I've got a mo.

Comment

They are for a Jetta or MKII Golf GTi no doubt.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

In true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier, not a great effort, I didn't even really sand the wheel down (hence the flaky paint!), I just did it to see how it would look, and I quite like it!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky View Post
              In true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier, not a great effort, I didn't even really sand the wheel down (hence the flaky paint!), I just did it to see how it would look, and I quite like it!
              Sorry i'm probably being dim but what's supposed to be different
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Black alloy wheels seem a silly idea, to me. You need to squint to see they aren't steelies, being the same colour - and usually it looks like the car has no wheels fitted, or they are just really dirty. If you're going to spend money getting some sporty-looking alloys fitted to a car, you might as well actually be able to see them, IMO...
                Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

The different part of it is that it's not silver - admittedly it isn't quite black, either, it's actually Rover's own Charcoal Metallic, as slapped on a x spoke by me... I thought I'd give it a go a couple of years back just to see how it would look, primarily as I'm not convinced that Atlantic Blue looks right with silver wheels - I should have put a silver one next to it really, then you would be able to see the difference quite easily! I do acknowledge that they wouldn't look unlike a set of steel wheels though, but for some reason I do like the black steel look, can't decide if that's due to the overall effect looking sort of sporty or pikey though?

Comment

I like black alloys with polished rim. Have them on my ZTT and they defo don't look like steels! Also had black spoked wheels with silver rim on my white monty and have got some 18" black/polished for JUM. Not ready to go on the car yet LOL!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jumturbo; 11th August 2009, 21:32.
                    sigpic
                    63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                    'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                    '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                    '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                    'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                    '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                    'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Originally posted by oseerees View Post
                      Ebayer has some X-spokes up for auction and couple are painted black (pinched his piccy to show on here)...

Got me wondering what they'd look like 'on' the car?
                      It's alright, I'm not buying these, I'd do my own.
                      Never ever seen any black - of course, you could buy them in white, but methinks black might look ok.

Not with the crappy 'red-oxide look' rim edge as pictured, but if that part was polished alloy and spoke area gloss black... hmm.
                      Gives them a different look altogether imo. Surprised nobody has done it before (perhaps they have?).

These are Ford wheels. Called "Snowflake" IIRC.

Comment

Black X spokes? Surprisingly easy to achieve if you don't clean off the brake dust
                        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          Black X spokes? Surprisingly easy to achieve if you don't clean off the brake dust
                          HA HA! Get some ferrodo brake pads (very good btw) and in a week or two...

Comment

Originally posted by BIGLAD View Post
                            These are Ford wheels. Called "Snowflake" IIRC.
                            I thought they were Vauxhall "Expression" wheels or for an Astra Champion GTE...

Comment

Working...
                            X