t16 alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t16 alternative

Im looking forward to getting behind the wheel of a monty again and, after 2 modern diesels i was thinking is it possable to slot an L series diesel into a monty? i think it would be easyier to do phisically as its almost identical to the old perkins prima it replaced on the outside, just modernised and tunable. Its possable to squeese 160 bhp from an L without breaking the bank and that much power with the 340NM of torque would put me close on the tail of you T16 boys and still get me 45-50 mpg. Any thoughts would be most welcome

Talk to Dan (E_T_V)

he is currently fitting an L series to his van.

mal.

Comment

Check my blog for fitting an L series into a maestro/montego.

160bhp isn't easy. I'm aiming for 150 from mine and roughly 250ftlb but the torque level will depend on the clutch.

The L series is virtually the same size as the T series and suffers from the same cross member problem. I've hopefully managed to get around this but I'll let you know if it works!
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

thanks for the info dan will be very interested to see how it goes especially the plumbing. Do you need to make any mods to the front end mount and are you using the L-series box or the van box, I was thiking of putting the rover box and dials in if they will fit so i would get the digital speedo and a revcounter

Comment

Plumbing is virtually done, just the return fuel line to the tank to put in and a few hose clips. The box is currently the 600 donor car box but I think the ratios might be a bit short but we'll see. I've got a monty turbo diesel box too and may make a cross breed out of the two, but we'll see.

I'm trying to fit a digi-dash so I'll get the digi speedo, rev counter etc, but fitting a conventional 2.0 petrol dash would have been the easier option.

Gearbox end mount is standard one
          Gearbox/rear mount is a modified prima one
          Engine mount is totally custom made using bits of the old 600 mount.

Comment

Originally posted by monty_dom View Post
            Its possable to squeese 160 bhp from an L without breaking the bank and that much power with the 340NM of torque would put me close on the tail of you T16 boys and still get me 45-50 mpg. Any thoughts would be most welcome
            My thoughts are you are being VERY optimistic on your fuel economy. And as Dan says 160 from an L would be pushing the boundaries. You would have to upgrade so much to hold that figure. 140 is much more reliable as a target. To still maintain a fair fuel economy and longevity of the engine.

It is an idea that I haven't written off just yet too!

Comment

We easily get 40 mpg from our T-Series Turbo (in a Rover 220 Coupe) so even 45-50 mpg is not terribly good, especially considering that when fuel prices are high, diesel can cost 60p a gallon more than petrol. That differential seems to have disappeared at the moment but could easily return as demand for diesel is higher than petrol.

A fact I heard on 5th Gear the other day: if you buy a diesel Mondeo and do 10,000 miles a year, it takes 11 years to break even on the cheaper petrol model!

As a project, it is interesting and I admire Dan's pioneering work - but I have yet to be convinced by the cost advantage of diesels. Clearly it will be better drive than an A-Series petrol but I doubt it would better the T-Series Turbo as an all-rounder in terms of economy v. power.

Having said all that, I am just off to read Dan's blog!

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                A fact I heard on 5th Gear the other day: if you buy a diesel Mondeo and do 10,000 miles a year, it takes 11 years to break even on the cheaper petrol model!
                Facts? on top gear?

To give a rough idea I made a journey in my countryman, most of the journey driving with a leaden foot to rugby (approx 80-90mph traffic allowing as the majority of the journey is motorway) I managed to burn around a 1/4 of a tank.

A return journey was done in a T16 maestro which was driven conservatively around 70-80mpg using the exact same route. We managed to burn a 1/3 of a tank.

A much better illustration of the economy of a diesel engine over petrol than the contrived Top Gear dribblings!

Comment

If you re-read my post you'll see that I never mentioned Top Gear.

Whilst we can all give examples of diesels returning better fuel consumption than a high performance petrol engine - the T16 has more than twice the power of the Perkins diesel - the point made is that as all cars at some stage in their lives were purchased new, it is almost always cheaper to buy the petrol version and it takes many years to get your money back if you opt for the diesel.

The Mondeo diesel took 11 years at average mileage and I once read on MSN Motoring that in a similar comparison, a VW Golf diesel takes eight years to reach the break even point with the equivalent petrol. Therefore to make the savings on an older car, we are reliant on people being duped into thinking that buying a new diesel will save them money when most people who buy a new car do not keep them long enough to reap the rewards.

There are a few exceptions like the Kia C'eed which is the same price regardless of petrol or diesel or the Jaguar X-Type where the diesel engine is smaller than the petrol and nearly new diesel X-Types are cheaper than the V6 petrol equivalent. But with most cars, like the Golf and Mondeo, a small petrol engine will be about £1500 cheaper than the diesel - because they are generally fitted with turbochargers - and £1500 buys a lot of fuel.

Comment

You might get 40mpg out of your T16 but I don't! Best it has ever done is 37 on its first journey back from buying it. Usually it is more like 35mpg or less if giving it some stick.
                    As a contrast the L series in my 600 will do over 50mpg if driven slowly but still returns 40mpg driven hard. I'm not doing the change soley for the economy point of view, (although it is a factor), diesels are just lazier and easier to drive and that is what I want in a camper, I dislike the T16 on the motorway as it is hard to drive at a constant speed as the turbo is right on the point of the turbo spooling up - that might be something to do with the gearbox I'm using though. Diesel engines are also a lot easier to extract more power out of. To add 25% more power to an L series is very cheap compared to trying to add the same power to a T series. To be honest fitting a T series would be easier than this conversion, but it has been done before and I don't think the T series would be a sensible option in a campervan.

Petrol and diesel currently cost the same around here and I don't think that'll change much in the near future. However in the good old days diesel was a lot cheaper than petrol so economically it made sense. I'm still not ruling out turning it into a bioderv wagon which may decrease fuel costs but we'll see how the conversion goes.

Comment

I accept the points about the lazier engine and clearly they are more economical in terms of outright mpg and I think what you are doing is incredibly interesting in terms of being the first person to put an L-Series in the Maestro.

However, when buying a new car it pays to do some sums before buying a diesel. Most people simply don't do enough mileage or keep their cars long enough to make a saving.

Luckily for you, Dan, most people don't look beyond the hype and car salesmen are keen to push diesels because they cost more, so there are plenty of diesel engines around for projects such as yours!

Comment

Yes, I bought my whole donor car (Rover 620) for £200 with just 61k miles on the clock. As a contrast my daily driver (another rover 620) has over 214k miles on the clock and it is currently doing over 500 miles a week as I'm in the process of changing jobs. It seemed almost a shame to break the donor car for just its engine as it was so much lower miles than mine.

Yes in terms of fuel costs petrols now are a match for the diesels, however the latest cars with their small diesel engines may give diesel the edge again. However petrols are fighting back by also putting small capacity petrol engines in but then turbocharging them to give good performance too so it is swings and roundabouts.

Given the choice of an equal performance petrol or diesel I'd choose the diesel every time as they are so much easier to drive. Don't get me wrong though they aren't quite as fun to drive, but I've got the T16 and the maestro turbo and motorbike for that

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                          Said some stuff!
                          Yes, while you have a point I think you are missing something out. If you base projections on book mpg then it is always going to be off, sometimes waaay off!

You can return 40 mpg in your t16? That is frankly unlikely and even if you do you could have much more fun driving any diesel at higher speed, better acceleration than you will be using in you t16 to return 40 mpg.

To drive a t16 for fuel economy is missing the point anyway really isn't it!!

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                            Yes, while you have a point I think you are missing something out. If you base projections on book mpg then it is always going to be off, sometimes waaay off!

You can return 40 mpg in your t16? That is frankly unlikely and even if you do you could have much more fun driving any diesel at higher speed, better acceleration than you will be using in you t16 to return 40 mpg.

To drive a t16 for fuel economy is missing the point anyway really isn't it!!
                            I think you have made some assumptions there!

We have a Rover 220 Coupe Turbo that we didn't buy it because it was economical but we have been surprised by how frugal it is. The car is not used for commuting or town-driving and most of its mileage is clocked up on long journeys using motorways and A-Roads where weight of traffic and speed cameras dictate we keep close to the speed limit and, by default, return good fuel consumption.

Comment

Yes the T16 for a turbo engine does have very good fuel economy I have to admit.

Comment

Working...
                              X