A easy (and cheap to do) de-rusting lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A easy (and cheap to do) de-rusting lesson

1) Obtain the item to be de-rusted and painted. In my case, it's one of the four clips (once gold-coloured) which clamp the lid down on the air-filter box on MGT 396.

2) Obtain a jar of Morrison’s finest malt vinegar (actually I suspect any brand will do).

3) Choose a suitable vessel to use as a bath (in my case a coffee-jar lid), place the metal item in the vessel and fill it with enough malt vinegar to completely submerge the metal.

4) Leave to soak for 12 hours, ideally 24. In my case, I turned the clip over after 12 hours so that the parts touching the bottom of the lid also got a good steeping.

5) Remove the metal item from the vinegar dip.

6) While rinsing the metal under a stream of fresh water, lightly brush with wire wool, then stand back and be totally amazed (or be slightly worried) that the liquid you sprinkle on your chips and then swallow () has completely de-rusted the metal.

7) Prime and paint the colour of your choice.

(EDIT: Feel free to use this a a filler in a future edition of Monstro if you feel it'd be beneficial)
    Last edited by G51 NAV; 22nd May 2010, 20:47.
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

My father has done the same with the boot-floor of an Austin 1300 - worked wonders!

Regards,

Alexander
    http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

If you are going to do this, you're better to buy the big plastic container as it works out even cheaper. The distilled is better than the white.
      The container you use for the rusty item must be washed out after each use as it works better with a clean uncontaminated vessel.

Oh and one last tip....always wash your parts in clean running water otherwise your car will stink of vinegar for days after.

Comment

Oddly enough, I have one of those clips sitting on my desk.
        Attached Files
        MG ZR, anthracite - sold & gone
        MG Maestro 1600 1.8 S-series track car - will be made road legal for track days
        Montego Turbo - in need of welding to osr arch
        Maestro 1600 VDP - daily drive

Comment

Working...
        X