CD changer under the passenger seat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD changer under the passenger seat.

I am fitting a genuine period Rover CD changer to my Maestro 1.6SL to go with the period Rover 800 stereo, I have already fitted.

Its all working, however I want to fit the CD changer under the passenger seat and access from the rear passenger floor. Will this be ok? Most installs place the changer in the boot, but as the car is so original, I wanted it to be out of sight. Is there anything under the seat carpet i should worry about, or any other issues?

Mines under the passenger seat.

Same install you have fitted.

You will have to fabricate your own mounting plate as the genuine 800 one is too long.

Mal.

Comment

How practical are these old changers? My experience of changers/players from that period is that they jumped and skipped over every imperfection in the road because they didn't have playback-buffers. Age and worn laser mechanisms will only worsen things.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Not long after I bought my first Maestro and passed my test, I bought a brand new Philips Radio and matching DC082 six disc changer (As per the Rover 800). These have been fitted to a couple of cars now, and always in the same place (obviously, for the radio!). I've always mounted the changer under the driver's seat so I can get to the discs from the rear foot well.

No fancy mounting brackets need to be made at all. I have found that sticky-back Velcro is more than adequate for holding the changer in place. It grips to the carpet under the seat and is held firm. I also very rarely have problems with discs jumping - it must be a very 'stable' location rather than the boot where it is closer to jolts from the suspension.

Comment

Never had a problem with the genuine Rover 800 installs.

Mind you, my 03 Landy has a Blaupunkt CD Tuner fitted, which is totally crap.

I test fitted an 800 set into it, whith the cd changer on the seat and the head unit, propped on the dash.

Drove up and down our garden,(an acre of undulating meadow with ditch's etc) then down the road into town over the mini roundabouts (raised type and the traffic calming etc.

No skipping/jumping at all.

My next job will be to permanently fit it.

Mal.

Comment

Fit it in the boot. It'll be a lot easier to get the discs in and out!
            However under the seat is also fine.

Be aware that there is an anti-shock mechanism in the 082 changer (as in most to be honest). Its a mechanical damper mechanism and you must set it according to how you position the changer in the car. I.e. vertical, horizontal or anywhere in between. You'll see the shiny metal pin with an arc of location holes on the side. It needs to be set right to avoid skipping. To be fair even if not set right they rarely skip. My 600 one is velcro'd to the side of the boot in a vertical position but often falls off and lies horizontally and I don't notice it skip very often at all.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Sounds like some makes were good and some were bad, depending on the stability of the transport
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I have a Kenwood CD changer in the turbo and keep it in the glovebox. I drilled a hole just big enough for the cable to attach. A nice stealthy installation.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for all the comments. Under the seat it will go and i will try the Velcro option, to avoid putting any holes in the carpet. The Phillips R960 is a vast improvement in sound over the factory R570. Also fitted 4 JVC speakers behind original grills, so with the CD changer all my 80s classics have never sounded so good!

Comment

That's brilliant.
                    Might have to look into getting one of those myself. I can't reember what the Philips R960 looks like.
                    EDIT: wonder if it's the same one Matthew Semple has?
                    Last edited by G51 NAV; 5th February 2011, 17:44.
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Just happens to be tuned into my local radio station (not that I listen to it, myself...).
                      Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                      VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                      J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Oo I like that...looks nice and period. RDS as well. I can see the appeal.
                        Might have to keep a look out for one of those on The Bay of E.
                        Regards
                        John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Standard fit in many late Rover 800s.

Also available is the very similar-looking (but black) R950, which was a factory option on most of the 200/400 'R8' range. From what I remember, though, the 950 and 960 CD changers are not compatible with each other, despite both being Philips-made!

One other point to watch is that the 800s used a twin aerial cable arrangement, so the standard M/M aerial lead will not plug in without an adaptor.
                          1983 (Y) MG 1600
                          1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                          1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                          1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                          1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                          1990 Clubman D
                          1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

950 and 960 both use the same changer, the DC082.
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I take it these are only available with red illumination?

Comment

Working...
                              X