Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K series Conversion

Hi,

My dad bought an MG Maestro (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2161931.htm)
    for him, my brother and i to race in in the trackday trophy. After having it on a rolling road, we found it to be down on power (113@flywheel) despite having a hotter cam. We did a compression test which suggested itcould do with an engine rebuild. Instead of this, we are considering a K series conversion, as my dad has a 1.8k from an elise sat in his garage. I was wondering if anybody had done one before? Also, am i right in thinking we should be able to use the current gearbox?

Thanks

Harry

From memory the 1.8K uses the PG1 gearbox which is the same as used in the Maestro. Difficult bit will be the wiring at a guess.

I don't know anyone who has done the conversion befoe.
    Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

The elise K series ,is only marginaly more powerful than the O series 118bhp against the O series 115bhp and less torque than the O series .So not worth all the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
        The elise K series ,is only marginaly more powerful than the O series 118bhp against the O series 115bhp and less torque than the O series .So not worth all the hassle.
        It isn't standard though its's about 135bhp. Also the K series is 50kg's lighter!!

Comment

Theres been a lot of debate on here of late about K series'. 135bhp yeah not bad but if you are going to do a fast track day car at least go for a VVC with 160bhp for the amount of electrical work your going to have to do you may aswell sort the vvc. A T series turbo is your best option . If I were going down the K series route I would love to install a KV6,lots of torque and give it twin ,one per bank exhausts it would sound 6R4ish

Comment

Money is quite tight, so can't really afford to do much to the k series, but the engine swap works out cheaper than doing the rebuild.

Comment

What makes you think it needs an engine rebuild? They are usually very hardy.

Lots of other reasons for poor power are possible. Injectors and fuel pump being prime suspects as both these will be long in the tooth now.

Hotter cams need to be timed correctly to give power increases so make sure it is set up correctly too.

Any other Rolling road info from the power run that might give clues?

Yes K series is possible in the maestro, (it was the original test mule for the K series after all in development), but you'll need to adapt engine mounts to fit, make an exhaust and do a fair amount of wiring to get it all to work. The gearbox if changed for a suitable one (not sure the O series long gearing would be best for a K series), so the end and rear mount can be used as standard.
              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
              X