Rover 220 turbo conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover 220 turbo conversion

hi i was sitting looking at my 2lt efi maestro the other day and had the idea of maybe fitting the t16 engine in it but i need to know if i have to cut the maestro
    in any way and things that Will need to be changed so if any body has any advise on this topic im all ears thanks all

you do need to cut the front crossmember to clear the pas pump. As it is an efi it should be an easy conversion really

Comment

Technically you can get away without cutting it but it is a lot of work and mods to do so everyone usually cuts the front cross member to fit it.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Thanks guys how bad will i have to cut my car to make it fit and i did think maybe for some crazy reason of fitting it from underneath by lowering the car over the engine then histing the engine from the ground up to were it will need to sit crazy i know but i thought i would share my crazy idea with you guys :also will i need to change or move the engine mounts in any way thanks:

Comment

If you are trying to think about how to get the engine into the engine bay then I don't mean to be rude but you should consider whether an engine conversion is for you. Physically putting the engine into the bay is the easy bit!

Comment

I ok understand i thought that was going to be the worst part when you say that is easy you mean wiring and setting up is the worst?

Comment

Fabricating engine mounts, coolant pipes, intercooler hoses, doing a fair amount of wiring, cutting the front chassis member, welding it back up and reinforcing it suitably. They are all the hard parts. Lowering the engine into the bay is the easy bit!

Comment

ok how much for you to fit one for me

Comment

I just don't get the time these days. I've done one before with someone else and there are some threads on here somewhere.

I've just done a diesel conversion into my van which is a lot harder again (although no cutting involved!).

Comment

cool i think i might just fit maestro turbo engine instead lol

Comment

Link to my camper build thread

http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/forums/...php?f=16&t=206

It is also on my blog on here but I can't update that anymore so the one on my diesel site is up to date.

Comment

Fantastic there seems to be a lot of hard work involved in these engine up grades but if u don't try it you dont learn anything well done on that engine change

Comment

I did a similar project a while ago, I went for the t16 as I didn't want to be fettling a carb to keep it running right all the time. Something you will become well used to with an 8v engine. I found a t16 engine for a good price and a good friend did the wiring for me. Most of the loom splicing is easy but the tricky part was the relay pack that needs building.

Comment

you can get away without any cutting at all as i have done, using O-series engine mounts and water pump, and using a core plug to fill the original water pump hole in the t16 block. the wiring is very easy if you are using an earlier distributor t16 engine, but if you are using a wasted spark engine like me it slightly harder, so I started with a distributor engine loom and converted it for wasted spark (4 wires). the hardest part i am finding is getting a radiator plus intercooler in without major cutting, i have used a rover 400 diesel setup but its looking like the front cross member will need chopping which is what i was trying to prevent with the conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                              I didn't want to be fettling a carb to keep it running right all the time. Something you will become well used to with an 8v engine.
                              Trouble with MG Turbos is they attracted compulsive fiddlers: most of them would have been far more reliable if their bonnets had been welded shut at the point of sale.
                              Last edited by G51 NAV; 24th March 2011, 10:55.
                              Regards
                              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Working...
                              X