going to 4 pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to 4 pot

I got a pair of the mgtf calipers, as my car is an austin model I have decided to go de badged and although a minor detail I decided to go the same way with these as they had the MG logo that would have been visable through the wheels.

Before, a bit tatty and red:

Nearly finished, the release film is still on and I will lacquer over to hold them in place but you get the idea:

quick shot of the wheels after a respray, using graphite grey:

Poor quality pic but I only have my phone camera atm.

Excellent I reckon they'll look good. Should stop the car well too.
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Yeah, ever since day one the engine has been much better than the brakes so I have been itching to get these. I'll post up some pics when they are on.

Comment

Excellent stuff! Do the 4 pots fit straight onto the monty hubs or do you need to mod anything? Also what discs are you using, normal F/TF? Interested to see them fitted
        sigpic
        63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
        'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
        '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
        '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
        'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
        '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
        'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Fairly simple fitting. I don't know the full details. I'll do a photo how to guide when I get on to it. I think the holes in the hub need elongating slightly to pick up the threads on the calipers, the discs are the mgtf which I'm thinking should be a straight fit but I may have to turn down to 295mm No biggie though as there is a lathe on the farm I don't know how to use it mind, I'll have to be polite to Father but that isn't unheard of these days!

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
            Yeah, ever since day one the engine has been much better than the brakes
            so up to factory standards then lol.
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I tried with the paw big brake kit from day one but it just doesn't cut it. So it's not like I didn't try!

I can't imagine the 8v turbo on standard brakes! My diesel estate has that setup! It carries a lot of weight so could be comparable but I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Comment

Both of my MG Turbos are on standard brakes and they're completely different. MGT#502 doesn't brake it comes to a gradual standstill over a distance of several miles (lol), whereas MGT#396 isn't half bad at all. Both of them are bled, both of them have nearly new discs and pads and neither of them seem to leak. It's most strange.
                Regards
                John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I had a similar thing on this maestro. the r clip came out of the brake pedal and rather than getting to the cause of it I ordered a new master cylinder the next day. When I finally realised the real cause the new cylinder was fitted and blead. Although there was no failure of it the new cylinder has converted the braking. It could be the same with yours. A partial leak causing mediocre braking, mine was the worst case of a low milage but old car. If yours is the same I'd advise renewal.

Comment

Yeah it's something I'll look into when I come round to putting it on the road in June. It's been like this since I bought it many years ago and I've never truly got to the bottom of it, even though over the years it's had new brakelines, pads and discs, and it keeps passing an MOT.
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Keep an eye of fleebay and other sources for a bargain between now and then as mine cost around £67 from unipart. My previous one was around £20!

Comment

My brakes are almost standard and I'd describe them as ok. i uprated the fronts to grooved discs and went for 'Greenstuff' pads and they work quite well. You can tell the difference however when you get into the ZTT!
                        in comparison to some old American Muscle cars, like the 67 Dodge Charger (General Lee) the MG MMs can stop on a ninepence! The Charger had a whopping 7.2 litre 300 odd bhp engine that did 0-60 in 6 secs! and the brakes?....drums all round!
                        sigpic

Comment

Greenstuff are described as oe replacements, the grooved discs will be giving you more bite. Still a repeated high speed braking and on standard brakes the fade will be chronic. Not that I drive really fast all the time but I'd like to do a track day at some point, I don't want to be cooking my brakes in 5 mins when I do.

Comment

Oh, I thought Greenstuff were one up on standard replacement? Certainly at close on £50 a set you'd expect so! EBC do list a standard replacement and these are only about £20 a set. As far as I can recall, Greenstuff are for fast road and certainly have performed ok for me with no fade so far and i have done some spirited driving! I don't intend screwing the car round a track though!
                            sigpic

Comment

You had me going there cd, just had a scan on the web. EBC Ultimax are the oe replacement, Greenstuff are a performance upgrade

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/?sour...FQRP4QodqT9LCw
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X