Fitting remote central locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting remote central locking

I want to upgrade the central locking on my MG Efi to keyless entry and bought what I thought was the right kit from Amazon here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Re...entral+locking

However a lot has been lost in the translation of the fitting instructions from Chinese to English and I do not have a real clue as to how to do the job. I don't want to start cutting wires without first asking whether anybody here has fitted this kit or anything similar.

Many thanks

Could you post up a scan of the instructions so that we can see. You might have to fit a new locking motor to the drivers side front door. Once the wiring diagram is up it should be easy to deduce.
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Fitting remote central locking

Hi Simon

I've had computer problems so I've only just seen your post.

The instructions are attached. I hope they make sense to someone!

Many thanks

Bob
      Attached Files

Comment

The way I have done this on 3 maestros is to use the new alarm system that is connected to a central locking actuator. Remove the Central Locking sensor in the drivers door and move it into the cabin. Attach the new systems actuator to the drivers door sensor (this can be done with cable ties or a couple of long, thin bolts). Now, the new alarm actuator physically moves the Maestros sensor. To get the drivers door to unlock, fit an actuator where the sensor was and wire it in parallel to one of the cars other actuators. Hey presto, remote locking and no need to cut any wires (apart from wiring in the drivers side actuator).

This assumes that the maestros sensors/actuator is roughly the same size as the new actuator (they usually are). I moved the sensor and actuator (that are connected) to behind the coin tray.

This doesn't answer your question but does give you another option.

Good luck,

Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Going off at a slight tangent from this thread, is it possible to fit alternative central locking units to the MG Maestro as the standard ones I have always found to be tempramental? For example, what about the central locking motors from the Rover 200/25 and MG ZR or 400/45 and MG ZS?

I definitely want to retain the key-in-the-lock method of operating it rather than having a more complex remote system, but would like to have central locking units that are less tempramental than the originals.

Comment

I have hear'd of people using the maplins central locking kit to replace the old system.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/central-door...g-system-12303

Mal.

Comment

I believe the generic push/pull ones eg from mpalins, Right Click etc will fit. Rover Metro/100 ones will fit. Rover 200/400/25/45 etc won't fit.

If remote locking is to be installed, then a 5 wire motor must ideally be used instead of the drivers side unit. The existing drivers unit is just a switch actuated by the key or the sill locking button. This "manually" locks the drivers side but sends out a signal (and we're still not sure whether it is positive or to ground) to trigger the units in the other doors and tailgate so that they lock/unlock the doors. That's why the central locking only responds to actions from the drivers door. If a 5 wire unit was put into the passenger door too, then it could also work the central locking from the key/sill button.

5 wire locking motors contain both a position sensor and a locking motor, that'ss why they have more wires!
              Last edited by Simon; 17th April 2013, 12:36.
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                I have hear'd of people using the maplins central locking kit to replace the old system.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/central-door...g-system-12303

Mal.
                Yes I have these on the van. I integrated them into the alarm I fitted to do the central locking. There is no need to add an extra actuator to the drivers door if its wired right, (assuming you have a motor in the drivers door rather than just a switch unit).
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
                X