No announcement yet.

Improving sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the maximum mounting depth for front speakers so they don't foul anything? Would these fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1711494425...84.m1423.l2649
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Not sure about max depth but just remove the door trim and measure it yourself with the window down. Mounting depth of those JBLs is 61mm quoted. I fitted 130mm 2-way JBL GTO's to my Maestro about 9 years ago as they had a good reputation and Halfords were knocking them out at a good price (£39-99 IIRC), but I found that the big magnet fouled the window regulator meaning that the front window wouldn't fully retract, so I took them out. I fitted some spurious branded 130mm loudspeakers from a motor factors instead which cleared the window mechanism and, to my surprise those produced a bit more bass. Remember that 130mm loudspeakers only fit 88-on doors, earlier doors used 100mm units which will sound tinny.

Incidentally, just re-reading this thread, Rover 800 rear shelf speakers had covers that look as though they are the right diameter for bigger speakers, yet look standard enough. Maybe these (with a bit of reverse-engineering) could be used instead of the original Maestro/Montego speaker covers when bigger speakers in the front doors are fitted with spacers?
      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Ail do that then. Was just wondering if anyone new to save to taking it off to put back on to take off again ha. One of my other passions other than cars is AV/audio and depending on the car I am normally there with the jigsaw cutting out gaps in doors and ripping the interior apart to fit a decent hi-fi. But with it been what it is I just want to keep it as it is without doing anything that cant be changed back so i just want the best budget speakers I can get that just pop straight in.
        MG Maestro Turbo #500
        BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
        Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
        Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Working...
        X