Flywheels....T16 and O series turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheels....T16 and O series turbo

As I haven't got either in front of me to compare, does anyone know if a T16 flywheel will run with a Oseries turbo engine????
    I'm guessing the crank sensors and pick ups will be in the same place...??

yes, they have the same flywheel, I think the o series is 2 gap. But you can get a 2 gap T series fly (mine is)

Comment

Yes the 2 gap T series flywheel will fit. Be aware that the non turbo and low power turbo flywheels will be exactly the same as the O series one, i.e. smaller clutch.

I assume you are after a T series flywheel for the bigger clutch?

Also beware that some ring gears are different so make sure you match them (or swap the starter to the right one).
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
        Yes the 2 gap T series flywheel will fit. Be aware that the non turbo and low power turbo flywheels will be exactly the same as the O series one, i.e. smaller clutch.

I assume you are after a T series flywheel for the bigger clutch?

Also beware that some ring gears are different so make sure you match them (or swap the starter to the right one).
        I'm lookin to get a lightweight flywheel made up. But wanted to see if a T16 one is the same, which would mean I won't have to send my old one off to check and can just buy one of the shelf......

That's great, I will check the ring gears

Comment

If you are getting one made up and it is for a turbo then I'd suggest using a 2 gap one from the higher power T turbos (i.e. 228mm clutch), as the small clutch is rubbish on the turbo (215mm).

I still need to remove my lightened flywheel from my turbo to fit a bigger clutch flywheel as otherwise my clutch always tends to slip.

Comment

If you are getting one made up and it is for a turbo then I'd suggest using a 2 gap one from the higher power T turbos (i.e. 228mm clutch), as the small clutch is rubbish on the turbo (215mm).

I still need to remove my lightened flywheel from my turbo to fit a bigger clutch flywheel as otherwise my clutch always tends to slip.
            Yes I will be using a 228mm clutch. A paddle type most likley. I have a 228mm in the monty. After I turned the boost up on that the clutch slipped straight away. ..lol

Comment

There are plenty of alternatives before you have to resort to running a paddle clutch.

What sort of torque are you expecting to run?

Comment

There are plenty of alternatives before you have to resort to running a paddle clutch.

What sort of torque are you expecting to run?
                Well it's about 260bhp and 260lb/ft on lower boost (16psi) but will run upto 21psi. Not sure what power it makes at higher boost!?
                I want a clutch that will take abuse and not slip.

I have a std AP 228mm zs180 clutch I could just chuck in for now. They seem to be good for supercharged zs180s with 260bhp. But that is a much liner power delivery. I doubt it's going to last long in the maestro.

A race light flywheel (3.3kg) and paddle clutch might be a bit tricky pulling away....hmmm

Comment

I'd guess torque will be somewhere around 280-300ftlb then.

Really your only choices at this level are Kevlar or paddle. Kevlar are more friendly to use but a pain to bed in.

The AP racing T16 clutch does about 270ftlb usually. The L series diesel 228mm clutch usually takes about 250ftlb

You can get Kevlar ones built to your spec and GBE Ent. does a range of these, but I can possibly guess where he gets them from

Comment

I'd probably ring someone like helix and ask them what's best. The kevlar clutches are good but I swore I'd never get one again as it took too long to grip at higher boost, like around 5k! Regardless of what Kestral transmissions might tell you.

Comment

Working...
                    X