Dynamat anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamat anyone

Anyone got experiences of fitting Dynamat to out cars? Thinking of doing the doors on my Maestro. Are there any practical problems to getting the door panels back on!

Jez

I was wondering about this on the front doors of my Montego only yesterday.

Comment

Dynamat

Its no good im going to have to ask,what is Dynamat? sorry if im thick.
      Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

I've heard of people using stick-on flashing as a substitute! Any extra damping must make the stereo sound better, but the standard sized speakers are a major weak point.
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Good quality co-axial speaker replacements (check the mounting depth/thickness) are a big improvement, look standard and are a straight swap. They can be had quite cheaply on ebay if you keep your eyes open for a bargain with an ebay saved search. Obviously bigger speakers with door mods will sound better because size matters, but it is more work, and looks non standard. Also looking as standard as possible is saying to the thieving element - "move along just crappy old rover stuff not worth nicking out of the car and hard to nick the car with a Disklok".

Comment

Norm that makes both of us!! i don't know either
            MG Maestro turbo 437
            367 Bhp

Comment

Official blurb from their website.....

Dynamat is a thin, flexible, easy to cut and mold sheet that actually stops noise causing resonance and vibration, by using visco-elastic qualities that promote vibro-acoustic energy conversion. In short, that means noise becomes silent energy.

My basic understanding is that it is sound deadening material which will improve the sound from your stereo. But I could be wrong as never used the stuff before

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
              Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
              Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

MACCA 666 ,Youre a genius,i can sleep now.lol
                Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

sorry guys

Sorry guys, I thought more people would be aware of it. Yes basically it reduces overall interior noise and makes the doors more acoustically sound. Very effective in the good ladies Qashqi. I had concerns about how it would physically fit into our door panels. If I go ahead, I will report back.

Anyone want to sell my a set of all four door capping's from a late Montego (the ones with the tweeter holes)?

Comment

dynamat is often used for the wrong purpose. It is good at stopping panels resonating. It is very poor at absorbing noise.

There is a bit on soundproofing in my camper build thread. I didn't use dynamat though, I used a much much cheaper product that will do just as good a job (preventing panels resonating)
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Talking about campers, I saw something on a TV programme that might be interesting to people with campers or doing conversions. Apparently, if you can find an aircraft breakers they give away, the very light but high insulation value insulation for free. It goes to landfill otherwise. When you remember that flying at altitude your dealing with Himalayan temperatures outside and room temperature inside, it would seem to be good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jez View Post
                        Sorry guys, I thought more people would be aware of it. Yes basically it reduces overall interior noise and makes the doors more acoustically sound. Very effective in the good ladies Qashqi. I had concerns about how it would physically fit into our door panels. If I go ahead, I will report back.

Anyone want to sell my a set of all four door capping's from a late Montego (the ones with the tweeter holes)?
                        Hi Jez - If you want those cappings for a Maestro, then bear in mind that they will be a little too tall (remember that the Montego has exterior door cappings that raise the overall height of the window line) so it would look a bit awkward from the outside. I've seen it done a few years ago. Also the Montego ones have a curved lower leading edge, so a little bit of trimming of the Maestro door card would need to be done. If it's tweeters you want, then why not explore surface mounting some low profile tweeters on the door mirror inside triangular panel, or reverse engineer the Montego tweeters into the Maestro capping - I've got a pair of those that I've had for years and never done anything with, if you want them .

Comment

Tweeters !

Hi Simon, thanks for the detailed information. I understand and perhaps will go another route. I might try to fit some where the blanking plates are for the window winders, there is not much depth, but maybe just enough.

Comment

Tweeters are better the nearer to your ear line so that stereo separation is enhanced, that's why manufacturers whack them behind the mirror mountings. Don't forget that a simple cross-over will be needed (a capacitor in line with the wiring).

Comment

Originally posted by Jez View Post
                              Hi Simon, thanks for the detailed information. I understand and perhaps will go another route. I might try to fit some where the blanking plates are for the window winders, there is not much depth, but maybe just enough.
                              Vauxhall usually put them in the corners of the dash and there stereos usually sound quite good for standard equipment

Comment

Working...
                              X