Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVICE Re: Changing van wheels for alloys

Hi guys.
    I'm planning on changing the wheels on my Maestro van, as I want to fit some old school alloys or if I'm not able to source any of those such as Ally Cats, Revolution, Wolfrace or similar form the 1970's, I may have to replace the current wheels with some more up to date alloys as a last option.
    My question is my current wheels are 175/80/14 and most alloys I have seen are a different size, could anyone advise me which other size options would fit my van without having to make any alterations to the wheel arches or needing to add spacers etc? I'm really looking to simply take the original wheels off and replace them with the alloys without having to do anything more than remove and replace the bolts as I'm disabled and even this will be a task for me.
    I would be grateful for any information including suitable sizes which I can search for on ebay and the like?
    Regards,
    GSDGuy

van wheels

Hi,i cant help you with wheel choice, no doubt someone else on here will, but if you are in St Helens ,I live approx. 30 miles away and would be willing to come and put them on for you if you wanted, no problem,just let me know.
    Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Fitting wheels

Hi,
      Thank you for your reply and for offering to fit my wheels for me, you're very kind. I'm sure I will be able to manage, however I will keep you in mind and I wish to thank you so much for your kindness, it is very much appreciated.
      Regards,
      GSDGuy

Comment

The van wheel size is a little unusual for most cars so finding alloys to fit isn't that easy.

Rover 600/800 ones can fit but usually need spacers to clear.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Is the van PCD different to the car? I have a vague recollection that they differ or that they vary according to the age of the van.

I'm about 10 miles from you so I d like to repeat the offer of assistance made above if you need any.

Lancsman

Comment

Yes the van pcd is different hence 600/800 alloys do fit, but as Dan say's it's likely a spacer will be required.

But then the 600/800 range are also a Honda PCD, so there may well be a suitable choice from a Japanese car of similar vintage or older.

Although again spacers may be required due to differing off set.

Comment

Van type

Thank you both for your offer of assistance, very kind indeed.
              My van is an 'S'plate; this was the last van made and is regarded as a 'Kit Car' for insurance purposes as it was put together with mainly Rover parts and many were sent over seas although this one wasn't.
              Any further specific information regarding wheel/tyre sizes is still very much sought.
              Regards,
              GSDGuy

Comment

you probably ought to do a bit of googling and reading up on tyres and wheels first. You've given the current tyre size but the wheel size is the internal rim width, so 5 x 14 or 5.5 x 14 for example. You also need to know the PCD (pitch circle diameter) of the studs, and the offset of the standard wheel. If you get the identical PCD, rim size and offset then you know they are a straight swap. Different PCD is a complete no-no; Wider rims and/or different offset is where you can get into clearnace problems with either the calipers or the arches and so spacers or body mods become necessary.
                midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Originally posted by GSDGuy View Post
                  Thank you both for your offer of assistance, very kind indeed.
                  My van is an 'S'plate; this was the last van made and is regarded as a 'Kit Car' for insurance purposes as it was put together with mainly Rover parts and many were sent over seas although this one wasn't.
                  Any further specific information regarding wheel/tyre sizes is still very much sought.
                  Regards,
                  GSDGuy
                  Not quite the last but one of them. Mine is an S plate too, but there are later ones about. They are often referred to as Ledbury cars as that is where they were built.

PCD is 4.5 inch x 4. I can't remember the centre bore size but it is much larger than the car wheels which are a smaller PCD too (3 3/4inch x4)
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Any more info greatly appreciated and thanks so far ...

Thank you everyone who has helped so far; still keen for some specific advice re: types of wheel if anyone has done this before?
                    I'm not trying to be lazy here, its just that i have difficulty taking wheels on and off and any advice from someone who may have changed their van wheels before for example would be invaluable for me and save me a lot of struggling.
                    Thanks guys

Comment

ADVICE Re: Changing van wheels for alloys

Has anyone ever changed their Ladbury van wheels for alloy replacements and if so please could they provide me with specific information regarding which wheels will fit and be a straight forward swap over without any spacers/body mods etc?
                      Thanks for your help.

Comment

Threads merged.

Comment

Hi the wheels on mine are off a early 800 (1990 ish) they are 15" and fit with no clearance problems. I cant remember the tyre size but can check tomorrow.
                          I had to drill the bolt holes out slightly to get them over the studs.
                          You will also need m14 wheel nuts with a 60 degree taper (mine came from ebay)
                          Hope this helps
                          Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter

Thanks Peter. Would that be a Rover 800 you refer to? - sorry to appear ignorant!
                            Also what did you key into search on ebay to source the wheel nuts please?
                            Thanks again Peter,
                            Stevie

Comment

wheels

thanks to beniboyz for this info ,but he says Reliant Scimter wheels fit also.
                              Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Working...
                              X