Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening roof spoiler - any advice?

Hi,
    i have purchased a vintage (70's/80's) roof spoiler for my van and its too wide, as i am particularly keen on this particular item I wondered whether it would be practical to cut it in half and shorten it? Has anyone done this or similar before and could maybe offer some advice? .... I'm wondering whether I could use a fibreglass kit to rejoin it again and also wondered whether this would be strong enough, after all its not weight bearing or anything sitting on the roof.
    Any advice gladly welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Stevie

It depends on what it is made from as to how easy it is to alter it. Rubber ones are the hardest to alter. Fibreglass ones you can pretty much do what you want to.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your reply. It isnt rubber, not sure but could fibreglass? Any tips at all?
      Stevie

Comment

If it is fibreglass then so long as the prep is good the altered item should be as strong as the original. There are loads of fibreglass videos on youtube etc so you can see what is involved.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Cheers bud

Comment

I used a Pug 406 spoiler on my van, transfered it to the MG metro when the van went.

Comment

Hi

That's cool, did you have to alter it? Do you have any pic's?

Comment

if you have a fibre one its easy to mod. but if you want it to be soild buy a fibre tent pole these are cheap enough drill holes inside of spoiler for tent pole to fit (i cut the pole up in to 4" lengths) a coat of resin on edges and fix together leave to dry then make good surface of spoiler job done

stoney

Comment

Cheers

Thanks for that bud, you're a star!

Comment

Originally posted by GSDGuy View Post
                    That's cool, did you have to alter it? Do you have any pic's?
                    Fitted straight on.
                    Sorry, no photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X