mg 1600 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mg 1600 restoration

when I work out how to upload pictures, i'll do some words too!!

Comment

mg 1600

That's a relief, thought it was just me who could not see it.
      Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140913_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	289694

Comment

Name:	WP_20140913_001.jpg
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	289695

Comment

finally worked out how to post pictures!
            I heard about this car though a friend of a friend. I didn't really want another maestro (efi and t16 rally car already!), but after going to have a look at it, I decided to save it. it was built as a race car in 1990, did 10 races then 4 tarmac single venue rallies then was laid up under a tarpaulin for 20+ years! thought it would take some moving, but brakes weren't even seized!!!!! shell's solid but needs either doors or door skins, bonnet and tailgate. first job is to try and get the aldon tuned engine (103hp at wheels!) running, then strip it down for restoration.

Comment

MG 1600

Hi,Looks ok,when are you going to start ? MG Mal had some door skins ,I got a set off him,he is also the man for tailgates as well,and is very helpful.Look forward to the updates [presume you will post some],ive done one recently so I know what youre in for.lol

Comment

Looking forward to updates on this

Comment

i hope you can find time to up date the progress on the mg as it returns to usefull use will you be getting it on the road or race condition

Comment

hi guys, i'll try and keep this thread up to date as far as I can. with having a couple of other cars to keep going, progress may be slow I'm planning on re-building it as near to standard as possible, but leaving the rollcage in. I plan on using it for autotests and/or hillclimbs.
                    few more pics

Name:	DSCF1409.jpg
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	289696

Name:	DSCF1410.jpg
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	289697

Name:	DSCF1411.jpg
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	289698

Comment

Name:	DSCF1412.jpg
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	289699

Name:	DSCF1413.jpg
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	289700

Name:	DSCF1414.jpg
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	289701

Comment

MG 1600

Floors look in good order,which is a good start.

Comment

i do like the Mg 1600, sorry i never bought the green one advertised on here some while back

good luck with the project, there be times you ask yourself why why why, but when you start seeing light at end of tunnel it be all worth while.

am sure i seen new door panels for MG 1600 on ebay?
                          MG Maestro turbo 437
                          367 Bhp

Comment

first things first, getting the engine running! first job was to remove the sump guard as it was full of 20yrs worth of dried leaves. put a battery on and discovered the alarm works!!! new battery in key fob sorted that. an ignition amplifier was sourced from e-bay, coil lead fitted, plug leads put back on, then removed the cam cover and poured oil over the cam shaft. rigged up a fuel pump and petrol can and tried it..............nothing
                            on removing the accelerator pump housing on a carb, I discovered the diaphragm had gone hard, so carb overhaul required. also realized there was no spark either. so , back to the drawing board then

Comment

Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
                              i do like the Mg 1600, sorry i never bought the green one advertised on here some while back
                              That was probably mine at the back end of 2008. I know where the car is & it is loved. He did offer it back to me last year as they were thinking of moving,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,near the sea

Comment

Working...
                              X