t16 maestro conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t16 maestro conversions

anyone on here have any experience fitting a t16 engine in a maestro? my rally car has an early 820 t16 engine in, but I'm contemplating fitting a newer 620 engine in. the new engine has different ignition system that I know of, but what else is different when it comes to the wiring? cheers martin

I assume both are T16 turbo engines? The early engines have a different cam and run both a crank and cam sensor with a 2 gap flywheel and a distributor. The late 600 ones run wasted spark, 4 gap flywheels and no cam sensor. The wiring is a bit different and you'll have to have the ECU sent away to have the immobiliser bypassed (also different).
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

thanks for that, I'm getting the ecu and wiring with the engine, where do you send the ecu to?

Comment

Best of British near Birmingham somewhere I think can do it.

Comment

Also forgot if it is a 180 version (the early engine), then as well as the different cam it also has a smaller clutch I think. (215mm vs 228mm for the full power version).

Comment

I think the easiest way will be to swap cams so I can retain dizzy and all other wiring. flywheel and crank sensor. is that it?

Comment

Yes. The earlier cam is actually the better one (hotter) to have I believe . Still worth checking the clutch size you are using and upgrading if the engine is out though (the 215mm is marginal which is why all full power versions used the 228mm).

Comment

There are other differences between the 820 and 620 lumps such as the sump and I think the 620 had an oil cooler.

Also the top outlet from the thermostat is different.

Can't think of anything else off hand.

Comment

620 didn't have an oil cooler (it has an aluminium sump instead), and the bolts for the sump are larger as it is a stressed item on the 600.

Comment

well, been to see the engine running tonite and it sounds very sweet. odd oil leak, but no where near as bad as mine! plan is to swap camshafts and flywheel and add dizzy and cam sensor. anything else? someone on rovertech mentioned injectors, are they different?

Comment

Yes they are if you are swapping from a wasted spark to a distributor (or vice versa). One have an orange band on them and the other a blue band (from memory!). You need to have the right ones for the ECU, so probably easiest to swap the inlet manifold complete from your old engine onto the new one.

Oil leaks on the T series are very common from the corner of the head. The only fix is a new headgasket I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                        620 didn't have an oil cooler (it has an aluminium sump instead), and the bolts for the sump are larger as it is a stressed item on the 600.
                        Maybe it was just the 200 and 400 tubbys that did, I know the 820 sump was the size of a small oil tanker so avoided the cooler.

Comment

Yes 220/420 had the cooler and a steel sump. 600 had the aluminium sump and no cooler. 820 had a huge steel sump and no cooler.

Comment

Working...
                          X