remote central locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote central locking

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has fitted remote central locking to their maestro? mines a 1983 VDP

I have sent off for a kit from ebay that is universal, interested if anyone else has fitted it and wether it is straight forward to do.

fitted it to my maestro about a month ago

i chopped the wires in behind the fuse box as they come out of the A post had to fit a bigger fuse to the central locking and you will need to change the drivers door motor

my kit had a control unit type thing that done all the switching so a 2 wire motor will do

about an hours work in all hardest bit is finding the wires that power the other doors and boot

bit of a tight work area but plenty of hiding space for control box

good luck

Comment

Cheers for that
      You say I have to get a different drivers door motor?
      why? and what type?
      I ahve noticed that when using the key to unlock from front passenger door that it doesn't trigger the central locking will I need a motor for that door too?

Comment

the drivers door motor is more of a switch than a motor it has 4 wires

i think theres ..live..earth.and 1 wire to send a live to other motors to lock and other wire to send a live to unlock

all the over motors will work from the remote locking apart from the drivers unless a 2 wire is fitted (same as rear and passenger door)

etv (dan) found a central locking kit in maplins for about £30 and the motors fit with little modding or you could rade the local scrap yard

the passenger door will not lock/unlock all the car as it is not a 4 wire motor

and if it helps the wire colours on mine for lock and unlock are

orange=central locking control lock signal
        pink=central locking control unlock signal

there was a couple of pinks and oranges in the multi plugs so a test lamp or power prob is needed just lock and unlock the car from drivers door to get a live when operated

o and its a positive trigger system on the maestro

out of interest what kit did you get

Comment

If you are wanting to fit remote central door locking to a car that already has central door locking (like a VP for example), then it is fairly straght forward. No wire chopping is needed so long as the original central locking works if you are willing to fit a second door motor to the drivers door. If the original doesn't work or you don't want a second door motor in the drivers door then there is a minimal amount of wiring needed.

The central door locking kit from maplin is a direct bolt in kit to replace the original motors in all the 4 doors, however I've never bothered with the tailgate. No modding is necessary to fit the motors apart from fitting some bullet connectrors to the end of the maestro loom to plug them in.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The Lucas 5AS system can be plumbed in, as fitted to modern(ish) Rovers. I will get around to doing it one day when I have some free time. (:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

The most common way of fitting remote locking to a maestro already fitted with CDL is to fit a remote controlled acuator in the drivers door to move the control rod that locks that door thus triggering the factory fit CDL.

You need to run the wires from the remote controlled control unit into the drivers door. One advantage is not having to physicly or electricly alter the original system, you can also remove the remote system if you want and still have CDL.

Comment

remote central locking

this is what i got from ebay
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=75329

will try and have a go at fitting it at the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                  The Lucas 5AS system can be plumbed in, as fitted to modern(ish) Rovers. I will get around to doing it one day when I have some free time. (:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Why would you want to You would be far better off getting a decent alarm system.
                  Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

If you are fitting the kit into the car then you'll also need to fit another central door locking motor to activate the drivers door. The drivers door doesn't actually contain a motor so if you fit the locking kit you'll find everything locks except for the drivers door
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by Skatiechik
                      Why would you want to You would be far better off getting a decent alarm system.
                      Because I want to, I have the bits already coded from T4 and I don't want to fit spurious non-Rover parts. This set up is cheaper, and only requires a few wires to be connected. One has the option to wire up the alarm section (a highly specified perimetric and perhaps with a bit of creative adaptation, volumetric protection too, and depending on how it is coded can feature indicator flash, interior lamp welcome, remote sounder and battery back up, in other words a little like a "decent alarm system!) or not. I do not want an alarm on my car, but I do want remote central locking! Replacement whole fobs can be easily purchased off fleabay and subsequently recoded if desired, or replacement fob shells are an easy and cheap cosmetic fix to scabby worn ones.

Covered on all points so far, except one important one. Here goes...

If you are fitting the kit into the car then you'll also need to fit another central door locking motor to activate the drivers door. The drivers door doesn't actually contain a motor so if you fit the locking kit you'll find everything locks except for the drivers door

This is where the Rover 100 driver's actuator lying about in my garage makes its appearance! This allows for full remote actuation, whilst still retaining key operated CDL and also slam locking as before.

You can't beat using Rover parts for a neat solution!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                        Replacement whole fobs can be easily purchased off fleabay and subsequently recoded if desired, or replacement fob shells are an easy and cheap cosmetic fix to scabby worn ones.
                        It was the recoding part which made me make my first comment. I see quite a few posts on forums from the alarm system going wrong and people having to get their fobs recoded which can be expensive.
                        Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I lock the doors with a key...

I wind the windows down myself...

I move the mirrors by hand..

They never go wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by harryhill
                            this is what i got from ebay
                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=75329

will try and have a go at fitting it at the weekend
                            Did you have a go at fitting it?? I have CDL on LORA, including the back doors. This has allowed me to 'de-lock' the back doors and the passenger door, which not only looks nicer, but also stops some oik 'screwdrivering' the lock to break in. What I'd really like to do is also is de-lock the drivers door and a keyless system would seem ideal (I'll need a back-up system though in case the key-fob fails/ battery goes flat etc...got some ideas on that though )
                            The same company also does a remote door lock system which will allow me to 'de-handle' the rear doors... which will add to security and make the back doors smoother. I thought of using a Monty estate tailgate cable release but it might take a lot of wriggling in the cable where as two electrical wires would be easier. Also finding one in a breakers might prove difficult!! Looking at the item, all it seems is a push button and a solenoid. Shouldn't be to difficult though, push button from Maplins and an old starter solenoid??

Comment

Originally posted by Monty O
                              I lock the doors with a key...

I wind the windows down myself...

I move the mirrors by hand..

They never go wrong...
                              There is a lot to be said about the manual approach - far less hassle!

Comment

Working...
                              X