Idiot's guide to fitting a T16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot's guide to fitting a T16

fancy having a go at fitting a t16 naturally aspirated engine into my monty, anyone done this before? as some expert advice would be very helpful in getting me started

How experienced are you? That has to be the first question as it isn't a bolt in upgrade.
    You'll need to chop a hole in the front cross member and weld a reinforcing plate into it for strengthing.
    Then you'll need to fabricate the engine mount for the off side top engine mount.
    Then you'll have to get busy with the wiring, which is fairly straightforward if you are used to auto electrics.
    Then you'll need to fabricate or get someone to fabricate an exhaust to fit it.

Basically it requires all the work that fitting a T16 turbo does.

If you can find an M16 engine then the wiring should just plug in as it runs the same sort of engine management.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I have a reasonable amount of experience (just finishing my apprenticeship) but i haven't been taught how to weld yet. what in really wanted to know about was the wiring. My monty was one of the last made and as such is fitted with a catalyst and not fitted with mems which im told is quite rare, will that cause problems?

Comment

Not quite sure why you would want to do it though, your not gaining much over the efi engine ?
        Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Good point. You won't gain a lot moving from the O series to the NASP T16.
          You'll need to take everything from the donor, including the ECU so it doesn't matter whether yours is running ERIC or MEMS, (although most people will have done the conversion from ERIC systems).

I think when me and a mate did the conversion to a Turbo T16 then we got it down to about a dozen wires to cut and splice.

Comment

just stick a t16 in it more power for not a lot more work

800 vitesse donar car only because they are alot cheaper and less likely to be thrashed

as evt said wiring is about 10 or so wire's and i got the colours some were

i just done mine and it aint to bad a job i used orignal o series mount and trimmed the cam belt cover i got a pic of the cut out on one of my post's

took about 4 days all in all 2 1/2 days at work on the ramp

there are a thew post's on here and triple m web site ya just gotta spend a bit of time searching them

good luck with it

Comment

2.0 cat engines are only 106 bhp, N/A T16 is 154 IIRC, 30% more power and a smoother delivery and proberbly a much newer engine, worth the effort IMHO.

And yes, it has been done before but as already said, same amount of work as a tubby T16.

Comment

I'd consider a regular T16 for the same reasons. Personally speaking the Turbocharged T16 would be more performance than I could handle, really.
                M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

The power comes from your right foot though. So if you can't handle it don't press it down as far

The T16 nasp is not 150bhp, in 220GTi it is only 140PS. So roughly 137ps

If you want naturally aspirated then why not look at the much lighter 1.8k?
                  Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I'm only talking hypothetically. I'm more than happy with my S Series. I'd be happier if it were possible to convert it to EFi for enhanced smoothness and driveability, but it isn't. The T series engine is a more logical conversion than the K series in LM 10/11 having been done plenty of times in the past. There are less engine mounting issues for a start. Also, if I read the situation correctly, the T16 is a more reliable engine than the 1.8 K series particularly in the head gasket department??
                    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                      I'm only talking hypothetically. I'm more than happy with my S Series. I'd be happier if it were possible to convert it to EFi for enhanced smoothness and driveability, but it isn't. The T series engine is a more logical conversion than the K series in LM 10/11 having been done plenty of times in the past. There are less engine mounting issues for a start. Also, if I read the situation correctly, the T16 is a more reliable engine than the 1.8 K series particularly in the head gasket department??

It is possible to convert it to an EFI. You could do an O series EFi or if you are feeling brave an S series EFI . It is possible, you just need to get inventive.

K series won't have a lot more issues than a T series. One engine mount to fabricate as with the T series, as it uses the PG1 gearbox too so all that side of things can stay as it is. Both K and T series have headgasket issues. The T series usually just leaks oil on the floor but the K series causes lots of problems - mmmm mayo! The T series ways about 1/3rd more than the K series too which is something definatly worth bearing in mind.

If I have more spare time and money and space I'd certainly consider making a 1.8K series maestro as a fun car for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X