How to change O Rings on the SU Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change O Rings on the SU Carb

To change the O Rings on the carb you will first need to remove the saftey bolts. To do this you will need to cut a small grove into the top of the 3 bolts.

Then pull the auto choke off to reveal the O rings (2 of them in total)

Remeber to clean up the carb side in the hole too as it might have dirt and a little corrosion...

Hope this helps........
    *****MG Maestro Turbo # 496*****
    Follow me at
    FourNineSix

Good pictures! Much easier to interpret the instructions when you have something to look at.

Make sure you replace your O-Rings with ones made from Viton, which are resistant to the effects of modern unleaded. New O Rings will improve the running of your car, and the reliability of your auto choke (If it is still fitted). Also recommended for cars that came with manual chokes, too.

You can buy replacement Viton O rings from the Club. Take a look at the advertisement on this page
    >HERE<.

If you want to buy a pair, contact Richard Smith from the 'committee contacts' page >HERE<.

Comment

They are of size BS O 13.
      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Yup well done that man. They are Viton rather than natural rubber which swells in todays modern fuels with higher benzene and toluene contents than old school fuels. They are a nice standard size BS013 so are available from seal suppliers if you have one local (The usual problem is the minimum order value though!). I also sell them (link here) and will be bringing them along to all the shows that I'm attending this year.

Also if I'm not mistaken that is a turbo carb in the pictures above. The proceedure is the same for them all apart from on some/most of the nasp ones the screws are already normal screws rather than security ones so you don't have to slot the screws first making the job easier.

Also bear in mind that the screws are originally locktited in at the factory so gentle use of an impact driver tends to work well to shock them loose. If all else fails the screw heads can be drilled out. There is plenty of stud left protruding when the stepper motor is removed to grip and twist to remove with some grips.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
        X