Fantasy Engine swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Engine swaps

Not sure if this has been done before,so sorry if it has.
    We all know of swaps with M&T series has any other swaps been done K4 and KV6 come to mind ,ive heard there was some K series montego mules.
    What about 1750 E series of Dolly Sprint engines or dare I say none leyland such as honda or VW

Cheers

Russ

Wasn't there a Rover 3.5 V8 Montego in progress at some point? I seem to remember seeing pics of a white monty very much in the process...

Comment

I like the idea of a VW unit, I was giving serious thaught to something from the VAG stable alittle while back when i'd chucked my toys out of the pram over my O series problems.

A mk2 Golf GTi 16v engine would mate to the VW type Maestro gearbox, but there isn't a lot of gains to be had, and the Bosch injection system is oddly complicated in Golf GTi's aswell I hear. But i'd still like to have a bit of VW/MG cross-polination just for the hell of it

Comment

The 100BHP 'MG spec' K-series (from the ZR105) would be a useful upgrade to a 1.3 Maestro, giving the car a performance broadly similar to an MG1600 with infinitely more refinement and still retaining the useful 'under 1500cc' tax-band. I won't lie and say I haven't considered such an option in the future to replace Barney's ultra-wide-geared asthmatic powerplant.
        Regards
        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
          The 100BHP 'MG spec' K-series (from the ZR105) would be a useful upgrade to a 1.3 Maestro, giving the car a performance broadly similar to an MG1600 with infinitely more refinement and still retaining the useful 'under 1500cc' tax-band. I won't lie and say I haven't considered such an option in the future to replace Barney's ultra-wide-geared asthmatic powerplant.
          Watch the insurance rocket by doing that. I got a quote of over £3,000 for a Rover Streetwise with that engine. Although the quote for an R8 214 SEi with all the toys and half leather, with the same engine, was only a hundred notes more than I'm paying now.
          Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
          VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
          J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

I can't believe you've all missed the obvious upgrade:

Take out the engine, weld a floor into the engine bay, remove the rear seats, then install a mid-mounted 6 Litre Jaguar V12 and make it rear wheel drive into the bargain.

I can't see any problems, really.

Seriously though, i think a small TD engine, to get over the emmissions regulations might be a good plan. It would give the 1.3 Maestro a lot more torque low down and also it would be cheaper to run. It would sort of be in keeping with the 1.3 Maestros ethos but bring it more up to date.
            You can contact me by clicking here.
            Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonR
              Seriously though, i think a small TD engine, to get over the emmissions regulations might be a good plan. It would give the 1.3 Maestro a lot more torque low down and also it would be cheaper to run. It would sort of be in keeping with the 1.3 Maestros ethos but bring it more up to date.
              If you're bringing it 'up to date' and giving the 1.3 Maestro the same engine:car size ratio as modern cars, I think I'd have to raid a sodding lawnmower. :laugh:
              Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
              VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
              J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Rover L series.. Oh wait I'm actually doing that one!
                If all goes to plan it should be faster than my maestro turbo!
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

VW/Skoda 1.9 TDI (VRS SPEC) lump would fit nicely in a Maestro bay.

Going by the performance of the other half's NASP 1.9 sdi fabia, it would fly.

mal.
                  Last edited by MG MAL; 24th April 2008, 16:09.

Comment

You can get 260bhp out of them motors

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
                      Rover L series.. Oh wait I'm actually doing that one!
                      If all goes to plan it should be faster than my maestro turbo!
                      Really? What power output are you going to have

Russ

Comment

Would a KV6 fit? Seperate exhausts and twin rear silencers would be good for a 6R4 type sound

Russ

Comment

Fantasy

I like your thinking SimonR but I wouldn't use a V12 Jag engine - oh no! The motor used in the Jaguar XJ220 would be better. Then you'd have 6-cylinders, 24 valves, 2 turbos and TWR can tweak them up to a lively 680bhp!

The downside: XJ220s cost about £120,000 now but that is a bargain when you consider that they were £450,000 in 1992.

It would be all-British and it's contemporary with the Maestro as the engine was designed by Austin Rover in the early 1980s. It ought to fit as well because the engine originall came from the MG Metro 6R4 which used a modified Maestro floorpan.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple
                            I like your thinking SimonR but I wouldn't use a V12 Jag engine - oh no! The motor used in the Jaguar XJ220 would be better. Then you'd have 6-cylinders, 24 valves, 2 turbos and TWR can tweak them up to a lively 680bhp!

The downside: XJ220s cost about £120,000 now but that is a bargain when you consider that they were £450,000 in 1992.

It would be all-British and it's contemporary with the Maestro as the engine was designed by Austin Rover in the early 1980s. It ought to fit as well because the engine originall came from the MG Metro 6R4 which used a modified Maestro floorpan.
                            Hahaha. You're not seriously suggesting we buy an XJ220 and then brake it for spares are you?! You know the furore that kicks off if someone threatens to break a Maestro on this forum - imagine what the Jag fans would say if you did that ;-)

Nah - it's gotta be that sweet revving V-12, I've never driven anything else like it in terms of smile per mile....
                            You can contact me by clicking here.
                            Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ
                              Really? What power output are you going to have

Russ
                              Aim is for 150bhp and 260ftlb. Should be fun

Comment

Working...
                              X