no more tea light headlamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no more tea light headlamps

i been trying all these white ice ultra bright bulbs and there crap so i gathered a couple of pairs of toyota soarer headlamps from work

so i cut out the the magnifiers from the headlamps removed the beam cut out for main beam and plastic welded them all in the maestro headlight shells

gonna fit them in the week and will try get some night shots of the performance

what do you think

Interesting mod.

Will be interesting to see them fitted .

Mal.

Comment

they look well, but there will be no beam pattern ,and possibly blind oncoming traffic.
      Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

there is a beam patern thing in the dip beam unit's

Comment

Won't the markings cut into the glass affect your beam?

Also, I reckon they would look better if you painted the inside of the headlamp silver instead of keeping it black.

Comment

Wont the maestro glass throw the beam pattern all over as the light source is in a different place? They dont look too bad though.
            I got some uprated (but same wattage) bulbs thik they were 60% brighter and they're as good as the ZR on dip and excellent on main with the addition of 80s period spot lights. The ones i fitted were available as a dealer option at quite a few north east dealers.

Russ

Comment

ive tried with a loose fit bulb (501 side lamp and holder) and the beam images seem ok the dip patern is very good the beams are on the outer edge's of the glass so there's not to much to distort the beam's

i was thinking of painting the inside's silver but i just want to see how they perform first might even make a plate to cover all the unit apart from the lense's like most modern stuff

Comment

Ive seen pictures of maestros with 4 convetional headlights,is this a kit or does something else fit? The is also a bus that has maestro lights but ive seen them with 4 rectangular lights in place of the maestro unit im not sure what it is but ive always wondered whether the 4 rectangular lights would fit the car?

Russ

Comment

I think the four round headlamps come from the Ford Capri?

The only other place I have seen Maestro headlamps is the Leyland Roadrunner and the developments thereof. Do DAF still make it?

The smaller rectangular headlamps fitted to the Allegro and base model miniMetros have been fitted to a variety of buses and coaches over the years.

Comment

i have fitted them now and they are 110% better than standard

they kinda make the front look a bit hard lol

they are much better even though the beams are all over the show

n/s dip points into the stars
                    o/s dip is on the floor
                    n/s main is near on spot on
                    o/s main on the floor

i will set the beam's at work tomorrow and take some pics

Comment

Interestingly, virtually identical to what i did with my old MGF (which has clear front glass covers)

Left handside is original unit, right hand is the modded one:

Comment

ps. the fault is not poor bulbs, normally the chrome plating on the plastic lense/mirror assemblies oxidises and goes dull - any attempt to polish them usually results in wiping the remaining chrome plate away. There are companies that will redo your chrome for you but it's not cheap.

I have a round headlamp conversion kit in a box in my garage, i don't think it suits the angular lines of the maestro so i removed them from my MG when I bought it. The lights are capri units, but E39 BMW 5-Series round lights will fit in it - the last of which have these fish-eye lense style bulbs inside them with the indicators and side lights around the edges.

Dave

Comment

If you can't get the beam patterns correct it'll be because the patterns on the glass form a large part of the beam pattern on the original lamps. You might have to make some clear plastic front lenses to get rid of this problem. Certainly the projector lenses will give more light output. I cheated though and just fitted HID lamps which literally are 100% better than the originals.
                          There are some pics on here I think.
                          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

there all aligned now with a near perfect pattern with a clear lense it would be perfect

i wonder if i could get the lense's polished smooth

Comment

Have you thought of making a clear lense from perspex?

Comment

Working...
                              X