Intermittent Rear Wipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Rear Wipe

What with all this rain we have been having this summer, (nothing new there then!) I've been having to use the rear wiper, say, when on the motorway and the lack of an intermittent function on it is quite frustrating. Why would I need the rear wipe on all the time? I've taken to giving the button a quick flick every time I want to see out the rear window, but my ideal solution would be to plumb in a permenant intermittent function.

How can I go about this, what will I need and where do you reckon is a good place to do the deed?

Ideas much appreciated.

The later Maestros have the very function, perhaps you can just steal a relay out of a later one and bodge it into the wiper circuit?

Chris

PS - the lack of rear wiper on the Acclaim is a pain in aformentioned weather!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM
      The later Maestros have the very function...
      It does? Where's the bit in the loom that makes it do its stuff?

Is it possible to send the existing wiring through a relay box that the front wiper set up runs through?

Comment

Yes it does; 3 constant wipes when you first switch on, then goes to intermittant. I'm not exactly sure how though, to be honest... I'm guessing it's a realay with the rest of them in the fusebox? It might be possible to rig something up if you compare the wiring diagrams for the Mk1 and Mk2 cars from the Haynes book of Lies...

Comment

The Monty Estates have rear intermitent wipe
          Sure & steadfast.
          BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
          1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
          1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

If someone can guarrantee that I'm not going to fry something, I'll try one of the MG's wiper relays in the HLE to see if that gives it the intermittent rear-wipe they both have as standard. If it works on the HLE, it should work on yours. Something tells me that expecting it to be so simple is too good to be true. Come to think of it, where the hell ARE the relays in a mk1 Maestro?! Surely you don't have to dismantle half the friggin' glovebox to get to them!
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

The relays are mounted on the glovebox tray (that drops down) but there doesnt appear to be one for the rear wiper. Im sure my 1600 had intermittent on the rear but that was over 20yrs ago so my brain is now a bit intermittent

Russ

Comment

I'm pretty sure all of them are intermittant wipe, at least all ours have been so far.
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

yes i am sure they all have it , leave it on , wipes 3 or 4 times then goes intermitent
                  Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

None of my three early Maestros (with the mk1 dash) had intermittent on the rear, only those with later mk2 dash. Neither was there any mention of it in the owners-manual (unlike those with the mk2 dash where it is specifically mentioned)
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

It's definatly on all the time...which is a stupid idea.

I'd be interested to know if the change to intermittent is one that can be made retrospectively.

Comment

Our old 1.3L (A reg), 1.6hls (D reg) and 1.6 vanden plas (Y reg) had it (all mk1 dashes).
                        Last edited by E_T_V; 6th July 2008, 21:48.
                        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I *think* I had to keep turning my rear wiper on and off when I had the 1.6 Vanden Plas and that was a 1986 C reg MK1.5 car.
                          Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                          VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                          J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Yes, all 3 cars I've had with a Mk1 dash the rear wiper was either off or constantly on.

Comment

I believe the intermittent facility also has an auto wipe facility when you put the car in reverse too as long as the front wipers are on.

Comment

Working...
                              X